Is this called hot linking?

geogphotos

PAGE TITLE

Establecer La playa después del colegio boutique nupcial

PAGE URL

URL removed by me

IMAGE URL

Is this called hot linking? Is it acceptable?

Edited by geogphotos

I removed the link - wasn't sure of the etiquette. Yes as you say access to the site is forbidden. There are lots of them linking to Alamy and also my Getty Images. But, for some reason,  I don't think that this counts as a copyright infringement. 

Am hoping that somebody can explain what it is all about.

I have recently signed up to Pixsy so am on a learning curve. 

Hot linking is what we're doing when anyone sets up a page to call on remote content, so yeah, and it's what we do when  we insert image from URL though given that we mostly do this with things on Alamy's servers, it's neither a bandwidth drain or otherwise a problem.  When a site uses an image link to a photo on another site all together, the second site owner can do interesting thing.  I remember someone post in a forum that he removed his original image and put in a text graphic "I Steal Other People's Work" as the image at the end of the URL.   The person  who put in the alternative image got a complaint from the guy who'd hot linked to his image because it "broke my website." 

I don't know if hot linking is a violation of copyright, but it is considered rude to do it without asking especially if it's going to chew up someone else's bandwidth.  I suspect there are programmatic ways to block hot linking.  It does allow people to use images without paying for them, though with something like Google Images search, that may be useful promotion. 

22 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Hot linking is what we're doing when anyone sets up a page to call on remote content, so yeah, and it's what we do when  we insert image from URL though given that we mostly do this with things on Alamy's servers, it's neither a bandwidth drain or otherwise a problem.  When a site uses an image link to a photo on another site all together, the second site owner can do interesting thing.  I remember someone post in a forum that he removed his original image and put in a text graphic "I Steal Other People's Work" as the image at the end of the URL.   The person  who put in the alternative image got a complaint from the guy who'd hot linked to his image because it "broke my website." 

I don't know if hot linking is a violation of copyright, but it is considered rude to do it without asking especially if it's going to chew up someone else's bandwidth.  I suspect there are programmatic ways to block hot linking.  It does allow people to use images without paying for them, though with something like Google Images search, that may be useful promotion. 

Thanks for the information. 

Pixsy is showing up all sorts of weird and wonderful websites. Many of which are like the one above in that I can't actually access them and the code for the image that Pixsy has somehow found is to Alamy or Getty.

One that I did access and put in as a 'case' was rejected on the grounds that the image was hot-linked and therefore not an actual copyright violation. It's a murky old world out there. 

I'm fairly impressed by Pixsy so far.