Michele

Question

Hi

I've been a bit of a sporadic contributor for a while but having a bit more time on my hands lately (thanks COVID) I've been looking through some of my images and the image manager options. I've only ever filled in the fields in the mandatory tab. I didn't even look in the optional tab. I think I naively assumed anything important would have been on the mandatory tab. However having finally looked in the optional tab I see there is a tick box for editorial use only which I obviously haven't been ticking. Apart from some photographs taken of my daughter, I have no property or model releases for any of my images. I have only sold a few images and from what I can see none of them are being used commercially. I'm more than happy to just sell my images for editorial use only. Should I be jumping in and ticking the box for editorial use only on all of my images.

I'm still not 100% sure about RF versus RM (I have a mixture of both). But maybe it's not somthing I should be too concerned about?

Sorry about such naive questions! But any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Michele

8 answers to this question

On 05/02/2021 at 22:28, Michele said:

Hi

I've been a bit of a sporadic contributor for a while but having a bit more time on my hands lately (thanks COVID) I've been looking through some of my images and the image manager options. I've only ever filled in the fields in the mandatory tab. I didn't even look in the optional tab. I think I naively assumed anything important would have been on the mandatory tab. However having finally looked in the optional tab I see there is a tick box for editorial use only which I obviously haven't been ticking. Apart from some photographs taken of my daughter, I have no property or model releases for any of my images. I have only sold a few images and from what I can see none of them are being used commercially. I'm more than happy to just sell my images for editorial use only. Should I be jumping in and ticking the box for editorial use only on all of my images.

I'm still not 100% sure about RF versus RM (I have a mixture of both). But maybe it's not somthing I should be too concerned about?

Sorry about such naive questions! But any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Michele

You don't have to tick the 'editorial' box if you don't have any releases. You can just tick the 'number of people in image', then no you don't have a release. The same for 'is there any property in the image' box.

John.

The default if you don't indicate you have waiver is that you don't so not as much an issue.  Not filling info may affect some searches.  

As for indicating "editorial" the only main issue is for your image of the skate park, which features some street art and graffiti which Alamy may require you to have as "only for editorial" , i have had a couple that were changed through their regular sweep. 

• Love 1

If there are people in your image, there is a drop-down for searchers who want “one person” “three people” or whatever. I doubt this is used that often as a search term, (what do I know) but those who do use it would not see your images unless you have the number ticked on the optional page. Of course, if you have “two people” or whatever number in your keywords, your image will be seen if the search is a regular one. I’m not sure if it would be seen if the searcher uses the drop down for number of people if you didn’t fill that in under optional. I’m sure there are regulars here that know how that works, so weigh in, people!

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

If there are people in your image, there is a drop-down for searchers who want “one person” “three people” or whatever. I doubt this is used that often as a search term, (what do I know) but those who do use it would not see your images unless you have the number ticked on the optional page. 

aren't search WOP (without people) and WP (with people) based on that pull down?

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

aren't search WOP (without people) and WP (with people) based on that pull down?

I think so, but I didn’t go there and look recently. I always say how many on the optional page, and say how many in my tags, also, so I have it covered.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I think so, but I didn’t go there and look recently. I always say how many on the optional page, and say how many in my tags, also, so I have it covered.

curious, what kw do you use for zero Person present?   i've used "nobody" and "empty" a few times, but maybe not enough. 

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

curious, what kw do you use for zero Person present?   i've used "nobody" and "empty" a few times, but maybe not enough. 

I just use “nobody”. Used to use “no one”, but don’t now.
For people, I use: one person only, or two people only, or two people. I also use male,males,man,men,person,people, and same for females. I just followed how a lot of people did it back when I first joined and continue to do so. It was discussed in a thread back when God made dirt.

• Thanks 1