Connecting Sony A6500 to PC to download files

Bryan

Question

My camera is the a6500 but I guess this should apply to Sony cameras in general.

This task should be easy, but I'm not making any progress. I've connected the camera to the computer using the supplied USB cable (which is inconveniently short) and can see it appear in Explorer, but I can't see the files within.

I've also tried installing Sony Imaging Edge and have been able to control the camera remotely, but, again, I can't download the files from the camera to the computer.

It's not a major problem as I can just remove the card from the camera and plug it into the computer, but I'd prefer not to have to keep removing and replacing it.

Any ideas?

7 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Windows 10 Allan.

I've just tried  connecting the RX100 V and that works without a problem, when connected using a USB cable and the camera switched on, I can access the files on the memory card from Explorer, but still no joy with the a6500.

Sorry I am on Apple and do not know enough about Windows to be able to help. Just for information this is what I do on my iMac.

Connect sony a6000 camera to computer with USB lead. Two files appear on screen. I then start "Image Capture" an Apple app. A list of images from the camera appear on screen in the app. I have the app set to download the images to a file on my separate hard drives and click on "download all".  When it is finished, a few seconds time, end the app. Click on both sony files that were loaded initially and drag to "Bin" which disconnects the camera from the computer and switch off camera. Format card in camera.

I don't know if you can gain anything from the above but wondered if "Windows" had a similar program to the "Image Capture" app.

Allan

Just a quick thought. You do have your A6500 set to USB Mode Mass Storage I hope.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bryan said:

My camera is the a6500 but I guess this should apply to Sony cameras in general.

This task should be easy, but I'm not making any progress. I've connected the camera to the computer using the supplied USB cable (which is inconveniently short) and can see it appear in Explorer, but I can't see the files within.

I've also tried installing Sony Imaging Edge and have been able to control the camera remotely, but, again, I can't download the files from the camera to the computer.

It's not a major problem as I can just remove the card from the camera and plug it into the computer, but I'd prefer not to have to keep removing and replacing it.

Any ideas?

Bryan what system are you using?  Windows or Apple.

Allan

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Bryan what system are you using?  Windows or Apple.

Allan

Windows 10 Allan.

I've just tried  connecting the RX100 V and that works without a problem, when connected using a USB cable and the camera switched on, I can access the files on the memory card from Explorer, but still no joy with the a6500.

Edited by Bryan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

I don't know if you can gain anything from the above but wondered if "Windows" had a similar program to the "Image Capture" app.

Allan

In Windows a camera just appears as an external volume just like any other drive or USB stick. I just drag and drop to copy into the relevant month's folder on 😄

9 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

In Windows a camera just appears as an external volume just like any other drive or USB stick. I just drag and drop to copy into the relevant month's folder on 😄

Thanks for that. You have jogged my memory and I remember now how it worked. It is 10 years or more since I used a Windows computer regularly.

Then my question might provide the answer to the problem.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

10 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Just a quick thought. You do have your A6500 set to USB Mode Mass Storage I hope.

ITMA

That appeared to do the trick Allan thanks, mine was set to PC remote