Picture Needs/What to shoot List- how much attention to give this?

Tawna Brown

Question

When I have images that match something in the Picture Needs list, is there any special tagging I should be doing to the images if I upload them to indicate that these images are for these specific picture needs? 

How does a subject get on the “picture needs” list?  i.e. is it just when someone searches this particular term and few or no search results appear (and then it winds up on the list)? I wonder if just because something is on the list, it may not actually be a need that you could fulfill because the client looking for it has no way of knowing that you have relevant content. Also, it may not be a well-searched subject, so might not be worth the trouble to upload images after seeing it on the list.  How much attention, time, effort should I place on submitting based on “what should I shoot” rather than uploading my own content (of which I have plenty!)??

For example, taken from the list: “2 identical bowls of salsa, one with tabasco 2 identical bowls full of salsa, but showing a bottle of tabasco being”  - how long does this stay on the list, and how would a client know when new content is uploaded for this need?

Basically I want to know how much attention I should give to the Picture Needs list....and how effective it is if I DO submit images that are relevant to this list, how does the client know that new images have been submitted?  (PS- More questions to come, as I am in the early stages of preparing myself to return to stock photography!)   Much thanks in advance!

• Love 1

Out of curiosity i tried a year of AoA

16 searches for %NWT%

50 searches for %Northwest Territor%

so low, but on other side, on most search the number of results was low- many under 50, so that's positive.  Many of my sales were search where there was under 50 matches.

(the %xxxx% means the term can be anywhere in search, but i removed the non NWT ones)

note: worth also KW "North West" separate, an extra 7 searches all with low results, some zooms...  also Territory and Territories worth KW.

note 2; this is what getting addicted to AoA will do

note 3: do you get a bonus if i decide i'm moving the Yellowknife?  your blog is really appealing...  

Edited by meanderingemu

16 hours ago, Steve F said:

If you had over 1,000 or even better, over 10,000 of your collection, I'm sure you'd be getting a lot of activity.

Have a look at this link. It should help with understanding your ranking:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/13841-hello/?do=findComment&comment=270636

Thanks @Steve F. Yes, I intend to upload many many more... just have been putting it off for years until now, when I have a year off an dedicated time to work on this.  So I'm just working on getting a proper computer set up for myself (with big screen)- only have my laptop now, and I want to be working at the desk in my home office.  Thanks for the link and the additional info:)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Tawna, the NWT may be something of a niche market. However, I think that you need to upload a lot more images before you can judge how well your work is going to do on Alamy. I'd aim at getting at least 1000 varied images in your portfolio before you make any decisions. Best of luck.

Thanks @John Mitchell... a side note. I had a quick look at your images and was wondering about images of store signs/logos (such as Tiffany and Co)..... is that allowed for editorial, without a property release? I wasn't aware of this, I thought that if it is a focal point of the image, we'd need a release from the company.... Thoughts?

17 minutes ago, Tawna Brown said:

Thanks @John Mitchell... a side note. I had a quick look at your images and was wondering about images of store signs/logos (such as Tiffany and Co)..... is that allowed for editorial, without a property release? I wasn't aware of this, I thought that if it is a focal point of the image, we'd need a release from the company.... Thoughts?

it is generally allowed if taken from public space.  note that various stock agency may have different more restrictive internal rules, Alamy seems fine with it, with final responsibility lying with licensee 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Tawna Brown said:

A release isn't needed for editorial (non-commercial) use. I just indicate in the image manager that the images contain property and that I don't have releases. The rest is up to the end-user as meanderingemu noted above.

• Love 2

Tawna,

Sounds like you are licensing directly to your clients. That's great, so you know what your market is. Developing that market further is going to be the best use of your time.

I think engaging in a conversation with them about their picture needs is going to be way more effective than chasing Alamy's list.

Regarding picture needs in general, in the past I've found Getty's Creative guides and Visual trends to be a lot more useful than Alamy's list. These days I am my own creative guide.

GI