Skeptical about Personal Use sales

Nigel Roberson

Question

I understand that the commercial buyer will not go through the normal portal and Zoom images there before buying. It happens, I see it, no problem.

But, personal use images will be different. Who would buy an image without looking at it closely if they were going to use it for

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.

I think its  acon. Its commercial users who see a $13 useage as the cheapest option and go for it because the chances of getting caught are nil.

3 answers to this question

You are not the only one - various threads about this.

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/13691-personal-use-sales/#comment-266256

Some will argue that other sales sometimes are even lower priced -

The truth is probably that stock will never return to the number of sales and prices seen just a few years ago -  the $$$ sales are getting rarer.

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Love 1

I caught a presentation use ( not too different in fee from PU) being used on a commercial blog in a montage. It eventually licensed correctly There was no refund.

So it may pay to GIS your PUs and presentations occasionally to see if they turn up. Alamy have a monitoring system for misuse as well.

I have to say I haven't had a PU that wasn't plausible as a PU and apart from the example above, no misuses online. Since commercial fees can be lower than PU, it may not be such a problem.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1