Personal use sales

Paul Mayall

Question

Hi everyone, I have recently been making a few sales as personal use since removing all restrictions.

I can be happy for the increase in sales although no more than $10 or less per sale,

My question and concerns is how the material is being used and if these personal use buyers have a contract with Alamy stating the material cannot be used outside of personal use.

Any experiences or views on this, would be appreciated.

Thanks everybody,

Paul.

17 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Paul Mayall said:

Hi everyone, I have recently been making a few sales as personal use since removing all restrictions.

I can be happy for the increase in sales although no more than $10 or less per sale,

My question and concerns is how the material is being used and if these personal use buyers have a contract with Alamy stating the material cannot be used outside of personal use.

Any experiences or views on this, would be appreciated.

Thanks everybody,

Paul.

Paul,

I have been concerned about the "Personal Use" licenses, but all of the ones reported to me by Alamy have had written in the license "For personal use only."

But I also know several have been used for publication.  Now I am very selective on what I allow to be licensed for personal use.

Chuck

Thanks for your answer Chuck, I was living in hope that Alamy may have made stronger stipulations on personal use, it seems that offering our work for personal use is asking to have it abused, I will have to re-think and perhaps go through most of my work and change it back to non personal use.

Hi Paul,

Judging from the Forum, a lot of people are not keen on Personal Use licenses. I agree that from time to time the odd PU licensed image is used for publication. 

Personally, I don't apply any restrictions on my image usage. The PU fees of $10-20 are almost always higher than the editorial sales I get so I'm happy to have them. I would note though that my average sale price is somewhat lower than some contributors, which is suspect is due to the subject material of my portfolio. I'm on 62 sales this year for $695 gross so $11.2 average per image. I believe I used to be just over $20 average per image - I'm not sure if the reduction is due to Covid or just the steady decline in fees across the market. I also have yet to see a $$$ sale this year, which can significantly affect the average sale price for a small portfolio like mine.

Steve

• Thanks 1

I'm in the personal use scheme, I don't like putting up barriers betwen myself and people who are willing to give me money.

As far as I can tell my PU sales have not been misused, yet. I can relate to a couple of images that were bought by newspapers and a few weeks later a PU sale popped up. Now you can't make this up but one was of man selling sausages. It was a typical someone doing something picture. Being in PU got me a second sale.

FD26RE.jpg

I have seen contributors being vexed by PU sales being returned because the purchaser thought they were getting the product and not the picture. I'd like to see Alamy put a caveat in the buying process somewhere along the lines off, "Make sure you know what you are buying, your puchase is of  the picture and not the product. If you want the product go to Ebay or Aliexpress or somewhere else and take a grown up with you because you really should not be on the internet on your own you dozy wazzock".

*Not taking the mickey!

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Don't know those expression, James, but I get the meaning. 🙂

Ed, I thought you were originally from the UK, are you from the States or Canada? If you want to get up on British vernacular, try watching Only Fools and Horses. It took my wife a while to get into it because she's Austrian and a lot of it went over her head at first, but now she loves it!

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

I'm from Brooklyn, NY, Steve. I'm here on an Irish passport. Scouse is the hardest dialect I've ever encountered. 

Ah ha. I thought you'd gone over and come back again. Scouse is pretty unique! But Geordie is pretty hard too.

And have you come across cockney rhyming slang yet? If you watch the Guy Ritchie film Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, they have a scene where the characters are just talking in cockney rhyming slang and they have English subtitles underneath. YouTube this - 'Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Rory Breaker (Bar)' - you'll understand why I'm not linking 😇

32 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I love the way German speakers say morgen in elevators. 🙂

Yeah, I say morgen because I'm English and it feels right, but actually in Austria it's generally  Gruess Gott if you're being formal or Gruess dich informal (I live in the countryside when I'm over in Austria so it's almost always gruess dich).