Glacier in Switzerland

geogphotos

It could be interesting to show extent of glacier c 1900 and nowadays so would be good to be able to name this valley glacier.

I know that there is at lest one staggeringly knowledgable Alpine enthusiast on the forum so thought it worth asking here.

The hollowed out corries and smoother slope on the other side might suggest that side of the valley is north facing - also the shadows. That glacier might be joining another larger one running across the image from north to south.

I0000FjpVGUyPFTA.jpg

I’ve been around a few Swiss glaciers in the past, Aletschglacier is a good starting point as it’s big, long and complex, see my shot (Image ID: 2BRDYYY) taken from Eggishorn summit on the south side with very wideangle lens. There are a fair few side glaciers join it. Interesting that there is quite a lot of meltwater in the foreground, mid-summer shot when it swelters on the glaciers.

19 minutes ago, Malcolm Park said:

I’ve been around a few Swiss glaciers in the past, Aletschglacier is a good starting point as it’s big, long and complex, see my shot (Image ID: 2BRDYYY) taken from Eggishorn summit on the south side with very wideangle lens. There are a fair few side glaciers join it. Interesting that there is quite a lot of meltwater in the foreground, mid-summer shot when it swelters on the glaciers.

Thanks Malcolm, I assume that there is another glacier behind the photographer and this is the summer meltwater from it dammed by the main glacier running across the image from right to left.

Image ID: 2BRDYYY - what a great photograph!

Edited by geogphotos

OK, so the ridge, I think, is the Sparrhorn, Hohstock, Nesthorn leading to the Breithorn with the Beich Glacier coming down below the shadow shopes. Main glacier running down the foreground of pic is the Grosser Aletschglacier. Meltwater in foreground may just be a buildup though there is some water past the Marjelensee where a path meets the edge of the glacier. I’ve never been there but it would be a good spot to lug a heavy camera and tripod to in ye olden days.

52 minutes ago, Malcolm Park said:
34 minutes ago, Malcolm Park said:

OK, so the ridge, I think, is the Sparrhorn, Hohstock, Nesthorn leading to the Breithorn with the Beich Glacier coming down below the shadow shopes. Main glacier running down the foreground of pic is the Grosser Aletschglacier. Meltwater in foreground may just be a buildup though there is some water past the Marjelensee where a path meets the edge of the glacier. I’ve never been there but it would be a good spot to lug a heavy camera and tripod to in ye olden days.

I0000iIdXVMOoKj0.jpg

Is this where you mean Malcom? 

Edited by geogphotos

Did a quick scan on internet and came across a print: Le Lac de Märjele, Aletschhorn, Albumen Print, Francis Frith, 1865-75. Almost identical position to your scan. In fact some of the ice blocks in the meltwater and patches along the side are almost identical. Could have been taken same day, amazing.

Edited by Malcolm Park
additional info

It's not in the FF Archives that are on line as far as I can see. I have a vintage FF print, so I have been going through that archive a couple of times a while back.

https://www.myswitzerland.com/-/media/st/gadmin/images/attractions/museum/p_mel_le-lac-de-marjele_frith_234827.jpg

This is the best I can find. It's archive number is more clearly readable in this one (from here). But no luck on the Archives.

It's from a slightly lower position than yours. And a couple of meters to the right.

wim