Anybody recognise this pic?

geogphotos

My guess is Scottish lowlands and I thought it would be easy. The sculpted symmetrical shaped structure looks familiar to me but can't place it now that it comes to it. 

This is 1980. Any ideas?

I0000hhS8o5Vl0fw.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by geogphotos

Well....I am stuck on this one too. Not the end of the world but it might open up the use of some other pics of Alpine scenes shot at the same time. 

I0000Z39BS0w_G1I.jpg

That says Gasthof Fremdenzimmer

I0000jjjSIbzYHa0.jpg

I00004zCJmdXr.Kg.jpg

I0000aBOqPJGCpgs.jpg

And the woman with the red cardie and bike is called Mabel

Edited by geogphotos

Any license plates in the images? German and Austrian plates are local.

Ahh here you go:

Freystadt Gasthof Hotel Pietsch 1970

And from there we get here.

wim

edit: just Gasthof Dietsch did it.

edit 2: but the proper name turns out to be Pietsch not Dietsch.

Edited by wiskerke

34 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

...and it's nowhere near the Alps

About 160km 100m as the crow flies, if we think of something like the Tegernsee as the beginning of the Bavarian Alps.

Initially I thought it would be easy to find because of the typology of the tower. Which I had placed somewhere in the region south of Nuremberg. It turns out that just looking for tower and gate and village (the farmer with his hay) gave me towers all over Germany that looked a bit similar.  So yes it would have been possible to find it this way, but only if you would spend long hours. Which would not work because your eyes would cloud over. This only works when your eyes both get primed often enough and don't get tired.

This led to the second strategy: combining all textual clues. As I said: if I had been able to read the street sign Schwallgasse I would have hit it in one go. My guess is that you probably are able to decipher it in the original scan. But who would have known that there would have been only one such a lane in the whole of Germany. Or Austria or Switzerland for that matter.

In the end I was not far off with my initial guess of something like Roth, which is about 25km from the location.

I'm keywording churches in Rome. It's like keywording penguins: all look the same.

wim

5 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

About 160km 100m as the crow flies, if we think of something like the Tegernsee as the beginning of the Bavarian Alps.

Initially I thought it would be easy to find because of the typology of the tower. Which I had placed somewhere in the region south of Nuremberg. It turns out that just looking for tower and gate and village (the farmer with his hay) gave me towers all over Germany that looked a bit similar.  So yes it would have been possible to find it this way, but only if you would spend long hours. Which would not work because your eyes would cloud over. This only works when your eyes both get primed often enough and don't get tired.

This led to the second strategy: combining all textual clues. As I said: if I had been able to read the street sign Schwallgasse I would have hit it in one go. My guess is that you probably are able to decipher it in the original scan. But who would have known that there would have been only one such a lane in the whole of Germany. Or Austria or Switzerland for that matter.

In the end I was not far off with my initial guess of something like Roth, which is about 25km from the location.

I'm keywording churches in Rome. It's like keywording penguins: all look the same.

wim

I have others with snow and mountains from the same roll of film - only a small number from each roll for some reason - and I had hoped that getting the location of this place would act as a key to the others with just snow and mountain peaks and no human geography clues. I will probably go ahead and do them sometime because there are such knowledgable people to turn to.

Thanks to everybody for helping.