Mexican (Oaxaca) Parade creatures costume identification help

meanderingemu

Question

Going through some files, i realised i had skipped these because i wasn't able to get identifications through quick searches, and i left town the next day so wasn't able to ask around

Can anyone help identify these 2 creatures from a Parade in Oaxaca.  This was in mid February, but before start of Lent, didn't find any special occasion.  I seemed to be school age based.  

Portrait of Mexican Devil creature with antlers walking in a parade in Street of Oaxaca Stock Photo

Mexican creature with crown and beard walking and dancing in a parade in Street of Oaxaca Stock Photo

6 answers to this question

8 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Going through some files, i realised i had skipped these because i wasn't able to get identifications through quick searches, and i left town the next day so wasn't able to ask around

Can anyone help identify these 2 creatures from a Parade in Oaxaca.  This was in mid February, but before start of Lent, didn't find any special occasion.  I seemed to be school age based.  

Portrait of Mexican Devil creature with antlers walking in a parade in Street of Oaxaca Stock Photo

Mexican creature with crown and beard walking and dancing in a parade in Street of Oaxaca Stock Photo

That promises to be a  tough one. Those costumes could be based on some obscure local legend / myth. This fellow lived and worked in Oaxaca for years and knows just about everything there is to know about the place. You could try contacting him (see contact form at bottom of the page that I linked to) and asking if he'd be willing to take a peek at the photos. Mucha suerte.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

muchas gracias.

I might for the one with the Antlers which i find interesting, as i haven't seen many. 

Mexican folklore and magic gets very fascinating and complicated. People changing into animals -- and vice versa -- is quite a common theme.

Those costumes actually look familiar, especially the one with the antlers, but I can't place them.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

That promises to be a  tough one. Those costumes could be based on some obscure local legend / myth. This fellow lived and worked in Oaxaca for years and knows just about everything there is to know about the place. You could try contacting him (see contact form at bottom of the page that I linked to) and asking if he'd be willing to take a peek at the photos. Mucha suerte.

muchas gracias.

I might for the one with the Antlers which i find interesting, as i haven't seen many. 

2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

They look like homemade/kids’ versions of pre-Lenten Carnival devil animals. I believe you were in Oaxaca city, but try looking at this link from a town nearby.

http://www.lizdevine.com/carnival

Thanks that looks interesting.  Yes i was in Oaxaca de Juarez, which doesn't do much of a Carnaval, so didn't see the link.  This would have been about 7-10 days prior to Mardi Gras, so it would make sense that Kids and school do their own procession.

I had read about the San Martín Tilcajete event, but didn't make the link....

Thank you

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Mexican folklore and magic gets very fascinating and complicated. People changing into animals -- and vice versa -- is quite a common theme.

Those costumes actually look familiar, especially the one with the antlers, but I can't place them.

yeah, i'm starting to be fascinated by Mexican Folklore.  I want to spend more time, when i am ready to move again.