Photographing flowers in sunlight and posterised colours

On 16/09/2020 at 21:13, Betty LaRue said:

It turned from blue to purple, pretty big change to my way of thinking. But such a small area of the image it’s easy to ignore.

Desaturating magenta gets rid of the purple look without changing the red leaf much.

Sometimes in resurrecting old images, one of the channels, often red, will be very muddy. Replacing it with one of the other channels will clear up the image, but the colors will be off. If they are selectively corrected (such as for skin tones), then an unusable image becomes at least passable.

Edited by DDoug
clarity

well the advice in this thread and the learning points have been more than welcomed today when I went out to shoot a sunflower that has sprouted out of an old swan nest - presumably due to all the birdseed thrown.

I waited until the clouds covered up the sun and remembered the colour histograms and the likely need to under expose a little bit as sure enough the reds were creeping off the right. I was able to use proofing in LR to make sure that once exported to an sRGB JPG I wasn't losing the red at the right and the result, after a few trial and error exports appears to be fairly good with the petals looking clear and sufficiently contrasty - at least to my eyes. 

The bit about under exposing goes against everything I learned way back when about ETTR, and is perhaps a habit I need to become less keen to use in all situations as digital sensor noise isn't what it was 15 years ago. Most of the time I deliberately push the histogram to the right (though not clipping) and bring back exposure in post if needed.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I finally got to a point where I was ok with the flowers. Thanks a lot for all the tips. Taken in indirect sunlight, a bit underexposed, used a different Adobe colour profile, played around a lot with sliders... Still don't think the sensor copes very well with yellows!

Stephen

tagetes-patula-dwarf-anenome-french-mari

tagetes-patula-common-name-french-marigo

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

Hi all,

I finally got to a point where I was ok with the flowers. Thanks a lot for all the tips. Taken in indirect sunlight, a bit underexposed, used a different Adobe colour profile, played around a lot with sliders... Still don't think the sensor copes very well with yellows!

Stephen

tagetes-patula-dwarf-anenome-french-mari

You do have much better separation there and it's down to the lighting, and maybe extra clarity?. Love the shield bug.

One of my pix of our very own lemons was photobombed by an aphid. There he is on the right.

DSC00258-5.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

On 28/09/2020 at 10:20, spacecadet said:

You do have much better separation there and it's down to the lighting, and maybe extra clarity?. Love the shield bug.

One of my pix of our very own lemons was photobombed by an aphid. There he is on the right.

DSC00258-5.jpg

Nice pic spacecadet, very painterly. Photobombing, hah! It's amazing how much insect life there is out there when you get to macro closeness....

No clarity added, just the lighting. Much closer to the original colour now too; orange rather than yellow.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Steve F said:

Nice pic spacecadet, very painterly. Photobombing, hah! It's amazing how much insect life there is out there when you get to macro closeness....

No clarity added, just the lighting. Much closer to the original colour now too; orange rather than yellow.

This is one of my studio efforts, just the Multiblitz with a snoot and honeycomb (which I picked up a few years ago for a few €; that stuff used to cost a small fortune) and a Lastolite gold fill IIRC, or it might have been the flashgun I use to trigger the monobloc because DSLRs don't seem to like flash leads, something to do with the resistance of the Multiblitz trigger circuit. That's what Multiblitz said anyway before they went bust.

Our tiny lemon tree is covered in aphids and their shed skins. Looks like a Hammer horror movie at 1:1.

Edited by spacecadet