Flower ID Please

aphperspective

Question

4 answers to this question

7 hours ago, aphperspective said:

I have this as gladiolus "priscilla" unless anybody knows another, the flower edges are a very deep pink. In full bloom now.  Thanks in advance

Andy.

gladiolus-priscilla-in-full-summer-flower-2C8DA6X.jpg

Common corn-flag, a species of Gladioli. Also known a Rogues, Eastern Gladioulus, Squeakers, Whistling-jack. Botanical name Gladiolus communis (well, so my PictureThis app tells me!)

1 hour ago, Jansos said:

Common corn-flag, a species of Gladioli. Also known a Rogues, Eastern Gladioulus, Squeakers, Whistling-jack. Botanical name Gladiolus communis (well, so my PictureThis app tells me!)

Which shows, I'm afraid, the limitations of the app.  These gladiolus are summer blooming large flowered hybrids - could well be 'Priscilla', the colouration seems to match to photos though it's not one I know personally - which are derived from various South African species wheras G. communis is a European species with quite small pink flowers.  The byzantinus subspecies is fairly common in gardens and has even naturalised in the UK.  Here's an example:

Bright magenta flowers of the hardy Gladiolus communis subsp. byzantinus Stock Photo

• Love 1

16 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Which shows, I'm afraid, the limitations of the app.  These gladiolus are summer blooming large flowered hybrids - could well be 'Priscilla', the colouration seems to match to photos though it's not one I know personally - which are derived from various South African species wheras G. communis is a European species with quite small pink flowers.  The byzantinus subspecies is fairly common in gardens and has even naturalised in the UK.  Here's an example:

Bright magenta flowers of the hardy Gladiolus communis subsp. byzantinus Stock Photo

Ah, that's interesting to know. I thought the app had cracked it! Good to know that facial recognition for plants is still some way off!