Newbie from SS

Bmaintz

Hello everyone...

Was on SS for years until commissions was cut, still on but will leave after payday...:)

Can anyone give me a realistic idea on commissions for Alamy?  $______

Most of my uploads will be exclusive...

I have a Canon 80D with the 17-40mm 1:4 L lens & the Canon 100mm Macro lens...

Just learning the 80D, which is replacing my 40D...

Note.... If I have a shot with a company name or logo then how do you list it?_____

Also if I have a shot with random people then how do I list it?____

Thanks

Bob

57 minutes ago, Bmaintz said:

Hello everyone...

Was on SS for years until commissions was cut, still on but will leave after payday...:)

Can anyone give me a realistic idea on commissions for Alamy?  $______

Most of my uploads will be exclusive...

I have a Canon 80D with the 17-40mm 1:4 L lens & the Canon 100mm Macro lens...

Just learning the 80D, which is replacing my 40D...

Note.... If I have a shot with a company name or logo then how do you list it?_____

Also if I have a shot with random people then how do I list it?____

Thanks

Bob

Sales here vary from not much to the range of three figures.   You get half if you've marked the photo exclusive and 40% if it's not exclusive (photos of art with no context can't be exclusive, check Alamy's info on this), but less if the photo was sold through a sub-agency.   

If you have an unreleased shot with a company name or logo, it has to be listed as editorial only (RF) or without releases (Rights Managed).  Same for unreleased photos of people.  Big debate over RF and Rights Managed -- discussions in the other forums.  Alamy seems to design its own hybrid contracts with RF photos from time to time.

My best prices have been for Nicaraguan tropical fish that are not static side profiles.  Low $$$.   The photos were of fish doing things (the classic answer to what licenses here is "one person doing something, with a caption that answers who, what,  where, how, and why").   I've gotten less money for plant photos, but have licensed more of those.   Landscapes, mheh, my lowest license, one photo.  

Keep an eye on the Photos Sold in <month> forum topic for the range of prices for licenses and what sorts of photos have been licensed.   Prices received vary quite a lot, and after a couple of months, you'll see who gets what. 

Alamy reports sales when invoiced, not when paid.  They got a payment over a year later on one invoice, so I haven't had any permanent problems at this point with collecting the money even during these times.   The photo whose invoice took a year to be paid also licensed a second time for less money in May. 

Alamy tends to be more editorial than commercial -- so people who shop here tend to be looking for photos to illustrate an article, either in print on on the web or for training presentations.   Thus people, animals or plants doing something (blooming in the case of plants).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Sales here vary from not much to the range of three figures.   You get half if you've marked the photo exclusive and 40% if it's not exclusive (photos of art with no context can't be exclusive, check Alamy's info on this), but less if the photo was sold through a sub-agency.   

If you have an unreleased shot with a company name or logo, it has to be listed as editorial only (RF) or without releases (Rights Managed).  Same for unreleased photos of people.  Big debate over RF and Rights Managed -- discussions in the other forums.  Alamy seems to design its own hybrid contracts with RF photos from time to time.

My best prices have been for Nicaraguan tropical fish that are not static side profiles.  Low $$$.   The photos were of fish doing things (the classic answer to what licenses here is "one person doing something, with a caption that answers who, what,  where, how, and why").   I've gotten less money for plant photos, but have licensed more of those.   Landscapes, mheh, my lowest license, one photo.  

Keep an eye on the Photos Sold in <month> forum topic for the range of prices for licenses and what sorts of photos have been licensed.   Prices received vary quite a lot, and after a couple of months, you'll see who gets what. 

Alamy reports sales when invoiced, not when paid.  They got a payment over a year later on one invoice, so I haven't had any permanent problems at this point with collecting the money even during these times.   The photo whose invoice took a year to be paid also licensed a second time for less money in May. 

Alamy tends to be more editorial than commercial -- so people who shop here tend to be looking for photos to illustrate an article, either in print on on the web or for training presentations.   Thus people, animals or plants doing something (blooming in the case of plants).

No MizB, I do not believe you are correct.  I believe that an image that does not have a model release is simply marked

as "No Release" in image manager, but that does not make it editorial.

Alamy should clarify this!

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
deletion
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

No MizB, I do not believe you are correct.  I believe that an image that does not have a model release is simply marked

as "No Release" in image manager, but that does not make it editorial.

Alamy should clarify this!

Chuck

I think RM and RF are somewhat different with this, but I think it's safer to mark "editorial only" if using RF.

Commercial use can misrepresent the person and situation as long as the misrepresentation isn't slanderous, like identifying Chelsea Northrup as a Turkish woman in an ad.  Editorial use should be clear about person and situation (see the discussion of Fox News for breaches of ethics in that).

If someone uses an Alamy photo with no releases to advertise a product, and the person in the photo takes exception to this, then "editorial only" puts the buyer in breach rather than leave anything fuzzy that might be used against Alamy and the photographer. 

But yeah, it's not completely clear. 

Prices are all over the map on Alamy. Just to give you an idea, my sales (gross) this month range from $3 to $145. A lot depends on who licenses your images. In my experience, books and magazines usually fetch the highest fees, websites and newspapers the lowest. Best of luck.

• Love 1