Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 then 8.1 Any experience?

I am considering upgrading my OS from Windows 7(64 bit) to Win 8.1.

Has anybody been through this process and, if so, can advise any problems they have had?  Particularly with Lightroom and Photoshop (I use versions LR5 and CS6 respectively.

I understand that it's best to install Windows 8 over Win 7 first, then upgrade Win 8 to Win 8.1.  The reason is that installing Win 8 first brings across most applications without having to reinstall them, and then upgrading to Win 8.1 retains those programs.  If one installs Win 8.1 directly over Win 7, then all applications need to be reinstalled, and reconfigured.  Strange, I know, but that is apparently how it works. I was dumbfounded when I found that out.

However, I do have a need to move to Win 8, so any experience would be helpful.

Many thanks

Ken

I´ve upgraded from Win 8 (64) to Win 8.1 (64). Since then, I have a very annoying problem: whenever I wake up my Laptop from standby (f.e. after closing and opening the display), my color profil is lost. This happens also on my attached second monitor. To get the the right profil back, I have to reload the profil, or restart the computer. I haven´t found anything, what solves this problem, yet, only a workaround, which makes it a little easier. Very annoying!

Has anyone the same problem?

I´ve upgraded from Win 8 (64) to Win 8.1 (64). Since then, I have a very annoying problem: whenever I wake up my Laptop from standby (f.e. after closing and opening the display), my color profil is lost. This happens also on my attached second monitor. To get the the right profil back, I have to reload the profil, or restart the computer. I haven´t found anything, what solves this problem, yet, only a workaround, which makes it a little easier. Very annoying!

Has anyone the same problem?

This link explains how to deal with that problem in WIndows 7. I don't know if it's the same in Windows 8 but it might be worth a look

http://www.laszlopusztai.net/2009/08/23/stop-losing-display-calibration-with-windows-7/

Advice?  Avoid Windows 8 at all costs...especially if a touch screen is involved.  Windows 7 Pro IMO was near perfection while Windows 8 is an unmitigated horror.  I see few if any advantages to Win8 other than it may be the push I needed to switch to Mac. 

Note: I have two I7 PC laptops, 16 gig ram, hidef screens.  One runs Win7 and the other with a touch screen Win8.  I've been using the Win8 machine for 10 months and don't like it any better now than when I first got it.  I've installed all available updates.

The only issue I had with the 8.1 upgrade was my laptop booted to a black screen from hibernation. Only happened twice, it stopped after I posted on the Microsoft TechNet forums for assistance. Hmm. 

As for upgrading to Windows 8, the only way to do it is by upgrading from Windows 7.  Windows 8.1 is a free download for Windows 8 users or you can buy Windows 8.1  If you want to maintain your current programs, I'd recommend the upgrade via Windows 8 as this retains your programs, settings and data.  Upgrading to Win 7 to 8.1 directly means you have to reinstall your applications and your settings won't be retained.

Lynn, how do qualify Windows 8 as an unmitigated horror?  Its 5x more secure than Windows 7, allows me to switch my wifi connection to metered mode which means I don't have my 3G bandwidth consumed by updates etc.  I don't use a touch screen but those I have it's been a good experience - its designed to be used with the new style apps not with the likes of Photoshop etc...

I'm reading more and more 'anti' Win 8 comments on the web so really not sure I want to go that way.

I plan to purchase a new custom built tower shortly.  Will I still be able to specify Win 7 Pro as the operation system?

Regards

John

Andy while I applaud longer battery life and safer internet surfing, I purchase my laptops to actually do work using programs like Excel, Word and Adobe Photoshop (among many others). Computers and software are tools that should make your like easier. If after 10 months of adapting myself to Windows 8 I'm still finding it irksome and more time consuming to use, then I propose the problem is the program. I speak with others including students and the head of IT for our department and most don't like the user experience. Try using applications like Microsoft Excel on a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop for a week and then get back to me about how well you like it.

As for Windows 8 on a tablet used primarily for email or web surfing, or on a regular computer (not a touch screen), it's probably offers a better user experience. Especially if battery life and internet security are of primary importance it might be worth it.

Lynn, some applications just aren't designed for or lend themselves to the touch interface, Excel being a good example.  To benefit from touch you need to be using applications designed for touch, otherwise frustration and disappointment will ensue.  As an IT system manager, I know that upgrading our network to Windows 8 will require a lot of re-education, we might not roll out touch screens just because the applications we use were never designed that way. 

Security is important to us all, the more malware we're saved from by a combination of built in Windows security and additional applications eg Norton, Kaspersky et al, the better and the safer our personal data will be - eg passwords for our banking etc.  

I appreciate your thoughtful response.  My anger is most directed at the laptop manufacturer and Microsoft who foisted this product off on me without consideration for the proper use of the new software.  The average student/worker buying a laptop needs it for more than just surfing the web or they would buy a cheaper tablet instead.  As an example, I have an Android tablet that I use for emails, web surfing, reading books and pdf's, etc.  I love it.  I would consider Windows 8 to be perfect for a tablet or cell phone or even on a standard laptop without a touch screen, maybe. 

A touch screen just isn't ergonomic for someone typing a letter or entering numbers in a spreadsheet.  For instance, if I try to position my cursor in a specific cell it invariably jumps to one of the neighboring cells.  Worse, the spreadsheet jiggles up and down on the screen as if trying to avoid the cursor.  That makes it easy for me to lose my place on the sheet.  If I try to use an icon for formatting at the top of a spreadsheet or word doc it won't select it at all or it will try to read my mind and selects the wrong function.  This constant interruption of workflow is unacceptable.  Also, having to remove my hands from the keyboard in order to reach up to select buttons on the screen isn't at all ergonomic and slows me down. Another annoyance, a coworker reading over my shoulder will invariable touch or swipe the screen when discussing numbers with me.  No amount of instruction breaks them of that bad habit.

I love new technologies, I like having the newest, greatest and most innovative stuff but it has to make sense and make my life easier or it's history.  I suspect the battery saving and enhanced security features could have been added to Windows 7. 

Archived