Editorial ..... releases or not?

Hello fellow photographers,

Model release for "editorial images". When yes when no. This is for me always a big challenge. Especially here in Poland. As soon i ask somebody to sign a model release in the streets they get directly scared and dont trust what i totally understand. I always try to get on when i am with known people. But what if you are in the street and there are 8 people on the image. I think in this case it would be not nescessary since there is not a specific person the main subject. What do you think? Do i think right that in general it is allowed to publish images of people in magazines or textbooks without permission as long it is on a public place and the person is not the only subject? Or is it like that that for editorial use you can shoot anything? 

I ask because there are some agencies that anyway would prefer a release even if it is for editorial.

Thanks.

Mirco

Publishers will use an editorial image without a release but they would want one for use in an advert, for example.

The law is a different matter. In the UK there's no right to privacy in public, in France an individual can stop publication of their image, even in public; in Germany, there is a weaker law. You'd have to check the law in Poland, but of course it would only restrict you, if it did, in Poland, not in Alamy's other markets. If necessary you could place a restriction on your images.

I know a girl (local photographer) who uses an iphone app to get people to sign model releases. She's pretty bold in her approach but turns on the cute and cuddly to get the shot. I asked last week if I could take a shot of someone picking fruit up at the fruit and veg store at my work, and they told me to go away (in true scottish fashion) That wasn't even me asking them to sign anything. 

Guys have got it tough, with the public perception being that we want to use the images for something rude. That's why I just snap shot away at anything I like and disguise the fact I took the shot. It's too much hassle trying to explain yourself to folk who don't even know what stock photography is, let alone saying you get paid for it. 

If you think about it when you are in public everybody sees you and everybody know what you are doing. You are open to the crowd. Thats why i think release is not nescessary. Instead of being seen by people around you you are seen by readers.

For me it make sense that as long you are in public there should be no issue with releases yes or no. When you are in somebodies home then it will become different of course. It is somehow like stealing the privacy.

So again... for us that makes images most of all on public places and events should not need to ask for releases. Going on public means showing yourself.

Archived