Can I Put My Alamy Snaps on Facebook?

Ed Rooney

Question

I'm wondering if I would be doing something wrong if I put some of my Alamy images on Facebook or Instagram? They would have the Alamy watermark on them. The reason I'm asking about this is I found Alamy's decision about not marking snaps of art work as exclusive strange.

Edo

3 answers to this question

You can put pictures that you have marked exclusive on Alamy on Facebook and Instagram. This was something that I queried when Alamy introduced the exclusive stuff into the contract last year and I got a definitive answer from James Allsworth both on the forum and when we met him in person at one of our meet-ups. My question was related to terms in the Facebook and Instagram contracts that allow them to sub-license your images royalty free but James said it was not a problem (as with POD or personal website). 

I am not clear why you would want to upload pictures with an Alamy watermark on them though as you could simply provide a link to the images on Alamy on Facebook if you are trying to advertise them for sale. On Instagram I think the links are supposed to be in your bio but you could mention that in the image caption.

I frequently put my Alamy watermarked photographs on both Facebook and Twitter.  It is a form of marketing.  I have, infrequently, seen zooms on photographs I have put on Twitter - although that could be coincidence.  

As I am largely a news shooter it can lead to “news leads” as happened just last week.  I posted a Facebook picture and a contact got in touch and said he had seen the photograph and that I may be interested in a local covid related event.

• Love 2
  • Like 1