Alamy Live News

Alamy recently topped 2 million images. I have noticed the batch number assigned to my live news submissions rising dramatically. I did a rough and ready calculation. On March 23rd - lockdown day - my submission number was 9961426. Today it was 10191947. That means, I think, that there have been 230521 submissions to Live News since lockdown began. And anywhere between 1 and dozens of images in each batch. Lockdown seems to have been a news catalyst.

Edited by Sally

17 minutes ago, Sally said:

Alamy recently topped 2 million images. I have noticed the batch number assigned to my live news submissions rising dramatically. I did a rough and ready calculation. On March 23rd - lockdown day - my submission number was 9961426. Today it was 10191947. That means, I think, that there have been 230521 submissions to Live News since lockdown began. And anywhere between 1 and dozens of images in each batch. Lockdown seems to have been a news catalyst.

i don't think there is a separate numbering for Stock vs Live News.

24 minutes ago, Sally said:

Don’t you mean 200 million?  It’s now up to 201+ million images

10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Don’t you mean 200 million?  It’s now up to 201+ million images

I do indeed. And yes, the numbering is of course for stock as well as live news, but since most people aren’t going out and about as much, either they are taking lots more other kinds of photos (eg indoors) and more than usual (which I doubt), or the real increase is in the ‘news’ opportunities in its widest sense that the current situation offers. A lot of people have commented how important it is to document it, and I agree. I spent yesterday taking photos of my neighbours in a project to document their lives in lockdown. We started using WhatsApp to share knowledge about local businesses that are now doing home deliveries, and more importantly to lend each other things. This has ranged from courgette seeds to window sealant, plus advice about how to fix things. These are mostly people I never usually see. The project has inspired them and they are continuing to come up with some great ideas for photos! The current fine weather helps so I can do it all outdoors at an appropriate distance.

Edited by Sally
  • Love 2