Multiple Editorial Use and DACS?

John Mitchell

Question

Just wondering, do you include "Multiple Editorial Use" licenses in your DACS claim if book or magazine use isn't specified?

Thanks...

P.S. Most of my "multiple editorial use" licenses are "Media, design and publishing"

For example:

"Country: Worldwide ; Usage: iQ sale: Single company - multiple use editorial only Editorial print + digital use. ; Industry Sector: Media, design & publishing ; Start: 25-January-2019 ; Duration: Unlimited UK"
Edited by John Mitchell

4 answers to this question

John, My view is that this is a broad licence which doesn't actually tell us how the image is going to be used. Editorial print could be a book or magazine but could also be a newspaper. Or it could be that they have permission to use it in print but only end up using in digital. 

When these sorts of licences ( editorial RF in all but name) were starting to appear there was discussion here over whether Alamy could possibly help us by being more specific over the actual usage but that didn't lead to anything. I suppose the reasoning behind the licence is that the user wants to have all options open into the unlimited future.

So, if we don't know whether it was used for a book or magazine I don't see how we can claim for either.

Edited by geogphotos

9 hours ago, geogphotos said:

John, My view is that this is a broad licence which doesn't actually tell us how the image is going to be used. Editorial print could be a book or magazine but could also be a newspaper. Or it could be that they have permission to use it in print but only end up using in digital. 

When these sorts of licences ( editorial RF in all but name) were starting to appear there was discussion here over whether Alamy could possibly help us by being more specific over the actual usage but that didn't lead to anything. I suppose the reasoning behind the licence is that the user wants to have all options open into the unlimited future.

So, if we don't know whether it was used for a book or magazine I don't see how we can claim for either.

Thanks. That has been my reasoning as well, so I haven't been included them in the past and won't this time. However, these vague types of licenses seem to be more common than they used to be. Another sign of the times, I guess.