Bamboo ID Please.

aphperspective

Question

7 answers to this question

Bamboos are a bit of a nightmare to ID from photos but looking at what I can see I think it's a Phyllostachys species given it's running tendencies.  Looking at the cane colouring from green to yellow I'll hazard a guess as to Phyllostachys aurea but it could be one of the other, similar species. P.aurea is a definite runner in milder climates and when grown in full sun so fits that requirement. I grow a couple of different Phyllostachys (nigra and aureosulcata f. aureocaulis) but I keep them confined - it's either that or dig out the errant suckering roots on a regular  and hard fought basis.

Thanks a mill yet again John your a star. This stuff is growing along verges and into woods near me, it will swamp everything. Same old story plant gets out no natural check, grows like wild fire and smothers everything.

Andy

11 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Thanks a mill yet again John your a star. This stuff is growing along verges and into woods near me, it will swamp everything. Same old story plant gets out no natural check, grows like wild fire and smothers everything.

Andy

I think if it is running rampant, as it seems from what you say, action is needed by the local authorities to contain or obliterate it.

Allan

I don't know if the local authorities have a handle on this Alan, but you can see whole swathes of woodland where the stuff is thick as grass (which it is) growing under the trees. Japanese knot weed is treated far more seriously, over here its illegal to have it on your property (that includes local authority land) and its illegal to sell any land or property that has knot weed on it. I used to live not far from the River Trent in Nottingham and that menace was everywhere along the banks.

Andy.

Edited by aphperspective
Spelling

12 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Andy

Not enough Pandas in Ireland for control?

Seriously, once they get established the running bamboo are a devil to remove. Even the clumpers are hard work as the roots are tough as old boots.  I got rid of a big Chusquea by cutting the stems down and building a bonfire on top.  Still took a year for the roots to for down so I could dig them out.  I was younger then and more foolish.

16 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

I don't know if the local authorities have a handle on this Alan, but you can see whole swathes of woodland where the stuff is thick as grass (which it is) growing under the trees. Japanese knot weed is treated far more seriously, over here its illegal to have it on your property (that includes local authority land) and its illegal to sell any land or property that has knot weed on it. I used to live not far from the River Trent in Nottingham and that menace was everywhere along the banks.

Andy.

Yes Knot Weed is a real menace. It can break up the foundations of houses. Don't know if Bamboo would do that though.

Allan