NEX 3/5 and Noise

I've been experimenting with shooting RAW+JPEG with

Noise control is an issue that's going to make it hard for me to sell my D700.

I don't embrace general, overall theories about noise; I just deal with every image individually. I have one image that I snapped in Central Park, a moment of affection between a carriage driver and his horse. The man was cuddling the horse's head, talking into her ear. I think I was shooting at ISO200, but when I tried to open up the two heads in Post for some detail, I got an impossible noisy mess . . . just couldn't make it work. Everything was in bright sunlight except for the two heads. And that may have been taken with the NEX-3, but I'm not sure. 

I've started experimenting with shooting RAW+JPEG with my NEX-3, and the in-camera NR seems to work well. The JPEG results look very good with no significant detail loss (at lower ISO's anyway) and clean shadow areas. I think that I'm going to start using this option more often. Do you find the NEX-6 better than the 3 at controlling noise?

What I find, generally, is that both the NEX-3 and the NEX-6 (plus LR) do well controlling noise . . . up to 1,600ISO. As I pointed out above, sometimes the lighting or the step-by-step can cause unexpected noise even at low ISO's. Paying attention to each image in turn works for me, although doing this will assure that I'll never catch up to Jeff. Heck, I'm older now, and I no longer run for buses. 

The RAW/jpeg question seems to have drifted over here, so I'll say I just shot RAW. Technically, I don't know what the future will be, but by storing RAW's I will carry forward the best images there are today. (And, yes, nontechnically, I don't know the future either.) 

This is exactly what i mentioned. The Sony NEX cameras have excellent in camera noise reducing. Far better then on my Canon 50d that i had. It is not that Sony Nex has a bad RAW file. It is like all other cameras that i had. It is just that the Sony Nex has very excellent in camera processing. Sony knows exactly what the camera is capable off and it looks it is optimaly used. I made concert images on ISO 1600 in RAW. Many i could not use because the noise was not to rescue manually or to much work. But all the ISO 1600 JPEG shots in camera resulted very well and could use most of them. I noticed that the 16MP sensors that are in the NEX 5n or NEX 6 do slightly better then the 14MP. But it is very small difference.

Mirco

This is exactly what i mentioned. The Sony NEX cameras have excellent in camera noise reducing. Far better then on my Canon 50d that i had. It is not that Sony Nex has a bad RAW file. It is like all other cameras that i had. It is just that the Sony Nex has very excellent in camera processing. Sony knows exactly what the camera is capable off and it looks it is optimaly used. I made concert images on ISO 1600 in RAW. Many i could not use because the noise was not to rescue manually or to much work. But all the ISO 1600 JPEG shots in camera resulted very well and could use most of them. I noticed that the 16MP sensors that are in the NEX 5n or NEX 6 do slightly better then the 14MP. But it is very small difference.

Mirco

Do you use the "auto" or "weak" noise reduction setting in your NEX camera menus, Mirco?

Do you use the "auto" or "weak" noise reduction setting in your NEX camera menus, Mirco?

Mirco

I have it on auto as long the images are technically correct. Never needed to change.

Mirco

Mirco

I have it on auto as long the images are technically correct. Never needed to change.

Mirco

Thanks, I'll do some experimenting.

Archived