Can I have a secondary user with limited permissions on my Alamy account?

barbara cameron pix

Question

8 answers to this question

Many of us are dubious about third party keywording services but you want to give it a try. I think you are either in or out for AIM purposes. You could change your passwords after you had let them do their work. I would be tempted to take steps regarding your banking details as well. You have less than 500 uploaded, is it really worth the hassle?

• Love 1

On 02/03/2020 at 05:00, spacecadet said:

You should ask Alamy but I doubt it. Once you're into AIM there are no limitations.

It's not what you asked, but it's generally thought here that the returns aren't high enough to pay for keywording. I certainly wouldn't do it.

You have a large portfolio, do you do all of your own keywording?

On 02/03/2020 at 05:34, Robert M Estall said:

Many of us are dubious about third party keywording services but you want to give it a try. I think you are either in or out for AIM purposes. You could change your passwords after you had let them do their work. I would be tempted to take steps regarding your banking details as well. You have less than 500 uploaded, is it really worth the hassle?

True I have less than 500 uploaded, but I have tens of thousands of images ready to produce and upload. It's time for me to get serious with my archives. Keywording seems to be the most time-consuming task. Do you do your own keywording? Or do you use a software tool?

1 hour ago, barbara cameron pix said:

You have a large portfolio, do you do all of your own keywording?

Yes. Every letter of it.

It may seem a lot, but it's been done over 10 years, and only a few dozen at a time, of course. I didn't have an archive.

There are various online tools that can suggest keywords, and a lot of contributors use the hierarchies in Lightroom (perhaps they can chip in here- I don't use it myself because I didn't find out about it early enough so developed my own system).

We see many examples here of poor keywording that has obviously been produced automatically. This can actively damage your search ranking by generating irrelevant matches.

You may have to accept that it's going to take you some time (viz. years) to get through your many images. Quickly placing thousands of pix here with indifferent annotation isn't going to help you.

Keywording is at least as important as photography craft skills here. It's something you can learn for yourself but it's going to take time..

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

I've lost track of the number of times photographers have pinned their hopes on getting help with Keywording. I've even tried a couple of free offers to demonstrate. They are always a complete waste of time. You are undoubtedly the best person to do the research, captioning and keywording. A dozen well conceived keywords is plenty in most cases and far better than throwing a Thesaurus at it. Less haste, more speed as my tiresome teacher used to say all those years ago. 

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Love 2
  • Like 1