Another Plant ID

Stokie

Question

Sorry, another plant ID!

All taken in May in Croatia and growing wild by a stony track.

First 2 about 12- 18 inches tall. Some sort of Bugloss?

Last one ground cover, about 3-4 inches tall.

Any help greatly appreciated!

John.

wild-flowers-croatia-2ATKHMD.jpg

wild-flowers-croatia-2ATKHMN.jpg

wild-flowers-croatia-2ATKHME.jpg

3 answers to this question

Hi John.

The first two pictures I initially thought were Betony (stachys officinalis) but can't be 100% sure. You may have to take it as a starting point for further investigation.

The last picture is Hare's-foot Clover or simply Hare's-foot (trifolium arvense).

Hope that's helpful.

Brian.

• Like 2

I'll agree with Brian on #2 as Trifolium arvense.

#1 is puzzling me as well.  The whorl spacing is too large for Betony and the individual flowers not prominent enough.  I don't have a flora that covers Croatia so I can't check among the Labiates for a match but I'd be inclined to look for a Stachys species, possibly Stachys germanica though that's normally more hairy.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brizbee said:

Hi John.

The first two pictures I initially thought were Betony (stachys officinalis) but can't be 100% sure. You may have to take it as a starting point for further investigation.

The last picture is Hare's-foot Clover or simply Hare's-foot (trifolium arvense).

Hope that's helpful.

Brian.

14 hours ago, John Richmond said:

I'll agree with Brian on #2 as Trifolium arvense.

#1 is puzzling me as well.  The whorl spacing is too large for Betony and the individual flowers not prominent enough.  I don't have a flora that covers Croatia so I can't check among the Labiates for a match but I'd be inclined to look for a Stachys species, possibly Stachys germanica though that's normally more hairy.  

I need more research into no 1, but no 2 seems to be Trifolium arvense.

No 1 has stumped the other half as well, and she usually says straight away what things are (although she didn't know no 2 either!).

Thanks both, very helpful.

John.