Sign in to follow this  
geogphotos

Canada's Prairie castles

An interesting article about the demolition of many of the old wooden grain elevators.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/17/canada-prairie-castles-cathedrals-battle-to-save

My question is: would you think that the photos would have been improved by moving into a position to exclude the fencing, power cables and poles? I'm sure that is what I would have done - left them out as a messy distraction, but do they add rather than subtract from the images by providing foreground and scale?

Within the article there is a link to another very interesting article about the problems facing wheat farmers in Canada.  

Edited by geogphotos

I think they're part of the scenery in a documentary piece, assuming we're not seeing the only view available. You might want them without the street furniture in an art gallery show.

Or we might be seeing a picture editor's choice- it's not Eamonn McCabe anymore, more's the pity.

In the second image perhaps the fence points up its separation from the community.  Or is that a bit philosophical? Unlike Goering when I see culture I don't reach for my Browning, but you know what I mean.

13 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

My question is: would you think that the photos would have been improved by moving into a position to exclude the fencing, power cables and poles? I'm sure that is what I would have done - left them out as a messy distraction, but do they add rather than subtract from the images by providing foreground and scale?

I'd probably do both: one set of pix to show the buildings at their best... another set to show the 'bigger picture', warts and all...

2 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

I'd probably do both: one set of pix to show the buildings at their best... another set to show the 'bigger picture', warts and all...

Good point. I took a few of modern concrete ones in Portugal and remember how much effort I went to get a view without the fencing and stuff.

I need to remember not to be so neat minded and show the whole scene. 

5 minutes ago, Johnnie5 said:

https://itstillruns.com/history-five-window-chevy-truck-8539006.html

Vintage Chevrolet car vehicle Glemham Hall, Suffolk, England, UK Brocante event September 2019 - Stock Image

As I ran through your photos I saw this one needed a bit more info, the article should provide that.  I watch too many videos of guys fixing old cars and trucks. 

That's very kind of you.

So I should add:

'five window Chevy truck'?

"Five window Chevy truck" is the common usage here in the USA, Its a nice example of one and a nice photo.  You could add "split window" also in reference to the windshield as 1954 and  later models had a curved molded windshield/ windscreen.