HDR images and QC

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of HDR images. However, the winter blues have got me experimenting with "artistic" HDR (in post-processing) as I've got quite a few old images that would probably lend themselves to this effect. Is there anything to watch out for as far as HDR images and QC are concerned? There are plenty of HDR images -- some of them pretty extreme -- on Alamy, so there doesn't seem to be a problem with acceptance. Thanks.

"Is there anything to watch out for as far as HDR images and QC are concerned?" . . . ummm . . . the end result? . . .

Sorry.

DD

I have never had a problem with them. One thing that you have to keep an eye on though is CA - it can really show up. Aurora HDR does a good job of controlling it, and processing in DxO (I think you do use DxO) in the first place is also a good idea (if you are merging Tiff/jpeg instead of RAW).

10 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

I have never had a problem with them. One thing that you have to keep an eye on though is CA - it can really show up. Aurora HDR does a good job of controlling it, and processing in DxO (I think you do use DxO) in the first place is also a good idea (if you are merging Tiff/jpeg instead of RAW).

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually experimenting with single-shot HDR only using the presets in DxO as starting points. So far so good. There seems to be little or no effect on sharpness. I've had to clean up some noise (using the "prime" setting in DxO) in opened up shadows. That was a bit of a concern, but again the results look fine to me. Here's one I uploaded yesterday that was pretty much unusable before the HDR treatment. It was taken in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, a very colourful town, a number of years ago.

view-along-aldama-street-cobblestone-str

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1