New Zealand tree ID

spacecadet

Question

I know the kaka- but what's the tree he's on? I looked it up at the time but didn't take a pic of the plaque. Those wavy leaves are diagnostic. There's an app for NZ plant life but I don't have a smartphone.

TIA2AJYHX6.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

5 answers to this question

I'm leaning towards red matipo, myrsine australis, because I have the reddish stems in another image. I'm open to offers though.

Thanks John for pointing me in the right direction, and Wim.

Edit: It's listed at the sanctuary, Zealandia, where I took the image, and I recall the purple berries. That's probably good enough for a background plant.

Edited by spacecadet

7 hours ago, Sally R said:

Hi Space Cadet,

I'm looking at a small book that belongs to my Mum on NZ trees, and the photo of a red matipo shows leaves that do resemble the leaf shape in your photo. If looking for confirmation, you might even be able to send it to someone at Zealandia for definitive ID.

I was in NZ in December 2018. I was in Wellington for 5 days for a conference and went to Zealandia too and really enjoyed it. I also went down to Stewart Island for a week and enjoyed being in such a remote place so far south. I loved the unique birds. I got a number of bird images, but I found the forests are dark there and I had to up my ISO to a point that I think most of those images aren't good enough for Alamy because of excessive noise. Just two Tui photos have made it into my portfolio.

Thanks for that, I'm happy with red matipo.

Those are my first wildlife images on Alamy, apart from a frog and some hornets and a swallowtail butterfly- not something I would normally even try to get but the kakas are great fun. I had to get one of a tui as well- they're the voice of New Zealand for me, they sound like pinball machines. I was bought a bird book and managed to note down about 45 species, all but about 9 of which we don't have here.

Edited by spacecadet