EPSON Perfection V600 Photo Scanner

geogphotos

Not good for negatives. Works for medium format slides. I worked for someone and did her medium format slides. She let me do my 35mm negatives it wasn't worth it. I can't recall if I tried any smaller slides. Nikon negative scanner much better for negatives. Did not try prints. ICE technology to clean up dust was pretty good but it's all very time consuming.  

Here's a list of some current options:

https://www.thescannershop.com/a3-scanners/

The Epson 12000XL has been arouind for quite a few years and has a good reputation, but then it should have for that money. If you are thinking in terms of your Naples prints then I'd hope you'd get a chance to try one first.

Flatbeds aren't good for 35mm unless you go up to obsolete high end scanners from the likes of Fuji and Creo.

13 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Here's a list of some current options:

https://www.thescannershop.com/a3-scanners/

The Epson 12000XL has been arouind for quite a few years and has a good reputation, but then it should have for that money. If you are thinking in terms of your Naples prints then I'd hope you'd get a chance to try one first.

Flatbeds aren't good for 35mm unless you go up to obsolete high end scanners from the likes of Fuji and Creo.

Thanks Harry. Primarily, thinking about scanning prints and documents. I only have a cheap A4 combo and it doesn't really scan to A4 because the edges are soft. 

I want to do all the family pics for starters and do enjoy hunting around for old images as a change from shooting stock eg) old magazine adverts from the 1950s

Yes, it's good to have a decent scanner in the toolbox though I must say that I'm using the camera far more often these days and the flatbed scanners are (literally) gathering dust. I don't have an A3 scanner and occasionally in the past I've wished that I'd had one but they take up a lot of room and compared to the camera they are very slow. For what it's worth I use a Umax Powerlook 1120 scanner, very good quality, has a built-in transparency hood and is very sturdy unlike the flimsy offerings that you get these days. It's firewire but I don't have a problem with that - it's A4 though, but sharp.

Older scanners probably don't have drivers for current operating systems but I use Vuescan:

https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/supported-scanners.html

If you want to buy new or nearly-new then perhaps consider the Epson V700, 750, 800, 850 range rather than the V600. They too are very solid hefty machines and there's plenty on the internet on how to get the most from them, just don't believe the quoted resolution for 35mm. A4 only again though. As I said previously it may be possible to scan a larger document in two parts and photomerge.

Edited by Harry Harrison