Should re -use fees still be acceptable in these days of low prices.? Re use is often discounted to 50%. I wish I could go into a restaurant and ask for a reuse fee for my lunch as I want the same as yesterday.

I know half price for re-use was the norm thirty years ago, but from ten or fifteen years ago many started quoting more like 20% or perhaps 25% discount. Just yesterday I quoted 15% off to an American text book publisher and they didn't complain. Unfortunately you and I were in the travel brochure sector and getting them to pay for re-use at all was hard work. As for popping into a pub or cafe and suggesting "my usual" at a discount, nice idea. I'll let you know how I get on!

all the best

Robert

It wouldn't be the same lunch though, would it? It would be the same thing on the menu but a brand new set of ingredients with a cost to the restaurant to produce again.

A re-used image doesn't cost to be created again but the publisher is getting the benefit of using it. 

Discounted re-use through the IQ thingy seems to result in a fee which is 1/3 of the original fee so having used the image once at full price they can then get it cheap for ever more.  But why should they?  Will they be selling the magazines any cheaper because the images were discounted?

Pearl

For me these half price or even less deals are even more of a concern than the initial low sale prices that now seem to be the norm. I've always taken the view that is far more realisitic to hope to produce images that are good earners through achieving repeated reasonable sales over a sustained period than it is to hope for the elusive huge one off licensing fee. My sales experience certainly backs this up. However any discounting for repeated use or bundling in mass purchase schemes completely undermines this future revenue expectation and this I feel really calls into question the viability of generalist stock shooting.

Archived