Additional Category for Environment

hdh

Since Fridays for future and most probably also earlier, Environment / Climate Change / Pollution seems to be more in the news. 

NB: I did not analyse that scientifically, this is just personal observation and I may be wrong on this. 

When selecting the primary and secondary category, while tagging pictures, I would prefer to have a more relevant category to select from, if a picture falls within environmental topics. 

Just thinking a separate category may be in line with the current time we are living in.

• Like 1

Yes, 'Environment' has come up before as a suggestion, still unclear as to whether entering a category has any particular purpose though. More threads here:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/11933-more-categories/

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/11863-new-category/

On 27/11/2019 at 19:13, Harry Harrison said:

still unclear as to whether entering a category has any particular purpose though. More threads here:

Alamy mentioned that categories are used by their Sales desk and distributors. (incidentally, my distributors sales vanished. No big loss, fees were mostly tiny).

40 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Alamy mentioned that categories are used by their Sales desk and distributors

Yes, thanks,  I'd read that, but it's a little difficult to imagine how useful they would be to them, and no way of telling. I think there were around 100 million images on Alamy when they were introduced in any case and probably the bulk of those will remain without categories. Note that officially the only information that Alamy has given, when they were first introduced, is that they "might be used in the future".

12 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I think there were around 100 million images on Alamy when they were introduced in any case and probably the bulk of those will remain without categories. 

Very true. Having been through the hoops several times on my whole portfolio after Alamy changes, I am not going back again to fill those in. I do however select a category for my new images. One never knows, I'm in the screen anyway as I fill in other optional information.

Edited by gvallee

2 minutes ago, gvallee said:

One never knows, I'm in the screen anyway as I fill in other optional information.

Yes, I fill them in as well, and I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't, I just don't do it with any degree of confidence. I don't think that they are a very useful set, unless of course your images tend to fit precisely into one of them I suppose. The suggestions for amendments that have been made have been good ones but Alamy haven't revisited them at all since rolling them out and neither have they offered any guidance on how best to make use of them. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, I fill them in as well, and I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't, I just don't do it with any degree of confidence. I don't think that they are a very useful set, unless of course your images tend to fit precisely into one of them I suppose. The suggestions for amendments that have been made have been good ones but Alamy haven't revisited them at all since rolling them out and neither have they offered any guidance on how best to make use of them. 

I believe Alamy has added a few more categories since they introduced the feature (I couldn't tell you which one by memory) but no way I'm going to revisit the ones I've entered. Too bad. I feel like a dog chasing its tail. And I agree, the list is not exhaustive enough, I have images where I can't choose anything (again my memory is not very good as to which one).

12 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I believe Alamy has added a few more categories since they introduced the feature

I didn't know that, but you can see that they've created a bit of a millstone for themselves. They really should have maybe spent the first 6 months concentrating on refining them. Now if they do, say, add Environment, or Religion, or split Industry away from Agricuture, that is just going to frankly annoy people who have to go back and edit accordingly.

Edited by Harry Harrison
Industry - not Business

1 minute ago, Harry Harrison said:

I didn't know that, but you can see that they've created a bit of a millstone for themselves. They really should have maybe spent the first 6 months concentrating on refining them. Now if they do, say, add Environment, or Religion, or split Agriculture away from Business, that is just going to frankly annoy people who have to go back and edit accordingly.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.