Critiques Welcome

jodyko

I'm pretty new here and am offering my submissions to date for review and critique by forum members who are so inclined. Be assured that my skin is not particularly thin and that I'm probably more critical of my efforts than anyone here is likely to be. It's quite possible that any criticism is something I've noticed after the fact myself and have noted in hopes of better future results. In short, I'm not posting here so that I can disagree with opinions, but in an effort to improve what I'm doing on Alamy.

I deliberately waited until I had a few hundred up before asking for critique. Smallish sample I know but feel I've at least gotten my feet wet. I have had one sale $$ which surprised me. I wasn't particularly pleased with the image but apparently it suited the needs of the buyer.

The one area that I would really appreciate comment on is whether or not I'm in the ballpark with regard to brightness, contrast, color etc. I don't have a calibrator yet but hope to someday. I keep my brightness set at 80%. 

I opted to make my collection available via the blue numbers so it's in chronological order.

Thank you in advance for your time and comments.

Jody

Edited by jodyko
space, info

I like your images. Especially your animals and insects. They appear perfectly developed with good brightness.  It’s just a matter of keeping on with what you are doing and getting the numbers up.

Making a sale already bodes well for you.

Betty

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Saleable pix, I’d say: people doing things. Think internationally... so include ‘america’ and ‘american’ as tags where appropriate…

Thank you John. Early on I got the idea somewhere that people doing people things was good subject manner and I probably enjoy that most. I need to work on my framing/ composition I think.

Yes I need to tweak my keywords for sure.

Edited by jodyko
add info

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

I like your images. Especially your animals and insects. They appear perfectly developed with good brightness.  It’s just a matter of keeping on with what you are doing and getting the numbers up.

Making a sale already bodes well for you.

Betty

Many thanks Betty. We're distant neighbors you know. I also lived in Norman, Oklahoma for a good while which I believe is near to your old stomping grounds.  😊

2 hours ago, jodyko said:

Many thanks Betty. We're distant neighbors you know. I also lived in Norman, Oklahoma for a good while which I believe is near to your old stomping grounds.  😊

Yes, We are! 
We had season tickets to OU for 10 years while living in Oklahoma City. We were in Victoria, TX for a year many moons ago, and hubby’s sister lived in Corpus, has since moved to San Antonio. My husband was born in San Benito.  Small world. I went on a birding shoot with a friend along the Texas/Louisiana coast a few years back. Loved it, until the charter boat captain made a derogatory remark about Oklahomans to all of us. I said, “Hey! I’m from Oklahoma!” Then watched him stutter, stammer and apologize for 5 minutes. 😂 I think he was afraid I’d toss him overboard!

Betty

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I think he was afraid I’d toss him overboard!

That's funny! "Okees" (spelling?) sometimes get undeserved criticism as do many definable groups.  I'm a "Yankee" by origin having been born and raised in Milwaukee, WI. My late Mother was a native of Anadarko. It is a small world.  😊

3 minutes ago, jodyko said:

That's funny! "Okees" (spelling?) sometimes get undeserved criticism as do many definable groups.  I'm a "Yankee" by origin having been born and raised in Milwaukee, WI. My late Mother was a native of Anadarko. It is a small world.  😊

Okies! His remarks were probably caused mostly from the football rivalry between UT & OU. Although he didn’t mention football...it was unspoken. One of my best friends was from Wisconsin. We’ve lost touch, now.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

Hi Jody.  

I like your subjects.  Good selection.  One thing that i did notice going through is maybe be aware of the edges a bit more.  There is many images where the crop seems a bit tight, and just gets my eye focussed at the wrong spot

a few example

TRWY6X.  little bit if the elbow cut off

TWYYWJ. big toe of the baby 

also give a bit of separation on the edges

2A75CAM.  no separation from edge of shoe.

WXPYYP. edge of the baseball cap

don't forget customers have to facility to crop images, give them spaces

• Like 1

10 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Hi Jody.  

I like your subjects.  Good selection.  One thing that i did notice going through is maybe be aware of the edges a bit more.  There is many images where the crop seems a bit tight, and just gets my eye focussed at the wrong spot

a few example

TRWY6X.  little bit if the elbow cut off

TWYYWJ. big toe of the baby 

also give a bit of separation on the edges

2A75CAM.  no separation from edge of shoe.

WXPYYP. edge of the baseball cap

don't forget customers have to facility to crop images, give them spaces

Thanks for your input! Those are all valid points and things I'm trying to improve upon. The photo with the babies toe chopped off was definitely cropped. I can tell by the file size. The others were more likely just poor framing in camera. There are more examples of just that type of thing, I'm afraid, in my collection. Composition has not been my strong point. I'm trying to make more use of the grid focus points and actually got some practice this morning at a half marathon event. Have a Dia De Los Muertos celebration to go to this afternoon and hopefully a Greek Festival as well. Should be fun. Thanks again for your response.  😊

• Like 1