I had my first "student project" license recently, $0.99. I had opted out of EVERYTHING (newspaper scheme, novel use, distribution) to attempt to avoid low prices and it seemed to be working OK for me (volume down but prices I can live with, without selling out to the non-ethical industry wide low prices).

I was surprised to see this one on an RM image and I was musing to myself ... does one think "student projects" should be covered under novel use or a new opt in/opt out category OR should they be a license type?

I am OK in doing my bit for education but it seems its another "option" to source images cheaper than normal that would need careful oversight to avoid abuse, anyone know if any oversight is provided in these license types?

Usage: Student Projects, For non-commercial use in projects such as dissertations, presentations or essays.
Industry sector: Education
Image Size: Any size
Start: 29 October 2019
Duration: In perpetuity

Edited by Panthera tigris
Typo

Nothing wrong with students paying a peanut while at university if that gets them in the practice of paying for images. When they go on to work at a corporation with a large marketing budget to spend they hopefully won't just expect it all to be free.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AndrewP said:

Nothing wrong with students paying a peanut while at university if that gets them in the practice of paying for images. When they go on to work at a corporation with a large marketing budget to spend they hopefully won't just expect it all to be free.

I like the idea but.......alternatively, once you have paid a peanut for something it could be argued that one would expect it to continue to have a value of a peanut/peanuts in the future. 

I suppose I would just like out of any of my photos being sold for these values.

Yes I'm not very confident about my suggestion of establishing a buying habit as a good thing. Back in the day when I did a lot of selling as a tiny agency, my pricing policy was the very least I would grant a license for was £50, lower than that the student or perhaps charity was you have to persuade me to let you have it for free, but the license would be very restricted. So the concept of license was established but silly low pricing was not. Unfortunately we have moved on a long way. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, AndrewP said:

That is a positive way of looking at it, and I agree it's a good thing in that respect. It is a hard pill to swallow though when they probably have a lot more spare cash than I do, will likely spend it in ways I never do and never did, yet they only pay a tiny amount for my images. I'm not too worried about it, but the fees from large businesses that aren't much higher concern me more. Alamy do well out of those bulk deals but each individual contributor sees very little of that money, and it also means that the same customer is unlikely to ever pay a higher fee in future.

• Love 1