Saturation of images in Lightroom vs saturation in Windows Photos

Steve F

Question

Hi again!

I'm sure this has already been answered. But I'm working on some autumn images with really intense reds and yellows. The images look fine in Lightroom, but when I export as JPEGs the saturation just looks too much (I'm looking at the JPEGs in Microsoft "Photos", the default programme in Windows). So first question, when I upload to Alamy, are the thumbnails going to look like my JPEGs in Microsoft "Photos" or like what I'm seeing in Lightroom?

Second question, what does a customer see when they download? Same as what I'm seeing if they open in "Photos" or in Lightroom?

Is this just a really stupid question and it just depends which photo viewer you use? Presumably clients will be using an array of different photo viewers....

Steve

Edited by Steve F
Question changed to reflect conversation better

11 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hi again!

I'm sure this has already been answered. But I'm working on some autumn images with really intense reds and yellows. The images look fine in Lightroom, but when I export as JPEGs the saturation just looks too much (I'm looking at the JPEGs in Microsoft "Photos", the default programme in Windows). So first question, when I upload to Alamy, are the thumbnails going to look like my JPEGs in Microsoft "Photos" or like what I'm seeing in Lightroom?

Second question, what does a customer see when they download? Same as what I'm seeing if they open in "Photos" or in Lightroom?

Is this just a really stupid question and it just depends which photo viewer you use? Presumably clients will be using an array of different photo viewers....

Steve

If your Internet browser, and Windows Photo browser are both colour managed applications, and set to use the same (monitor) profile as LR then they should look reasonably similar. Check what profile Windows is using (Settings - Color Calibration), hopefully it's your calibrated monitor profile? Try soft proofing in LR using the same profile.

If you want to make critical judgements of your own photos it's essential you have a calibrated monitor and colour managed workflow.

Discerning/Professional customers should be using calibrated monitors and a colour managed viewing/editing app. Goodness knows what PU customer might be using though.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I've checked and Windows and Firefox are using my calibrated profile. Maybe it's just an idiosyncracy of the Microsoft "Photos" programme. I think I'll just go off of what they look like in Lightroom. Here's to discerning customers!

Steve

p.s. or maybe everyone can let me know in a few days when I upload some hideously garish pictures!!

20 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I've checked and Windows and Firefox are using my calibrated profile. Maybe it's just an idiosyncracy of the Microsoft "Photos" programme. I think I'll just go off of what they look like in Lightroom. Here's to discerning customers!

Steve

p.s. or maybe everyone can let me know in a few days when I upload some hideously garish pictures!!

One of the problems I saw with the Windows Photos application in Windows 7 was that it was incompatible with Version 4 ICC profiles. I had to set my monitor calibration software to generate Version 2 profiles then the rendering was correct. No idea whether Microsoft have fixed that yet.

Mark

17 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

One of the problems I saw with the Windows Photos application in Windows 7 was that it was incompatible with Version 4 ICC profiles. I had to set my monitor calibration software to generate Version 2 profiles then the rendering was correct. No idea whether Microsoft have fixed that yet.

Well... I'm looking at the thumbnails on the Alamy upload screen and they look the same as in Lightroom. My suggestion would be that Microsoft haven't fixed it yet. I'd noticed for a while Windows Photos wasn't quite true, but it was never different enough to worry about. But this set of pictures makes it really obvious. Thanks, glad it wasn't just me.

Steve

54 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Well... I'm looking at the thumbnails on the Alamy upload screen and they look the same as in Lightroom. My suggestion would be that Microsoft haven't fixed it yet. I'd noticed for a while Windows Photos wasn't quite true, but it was never different enough to worry about. But this set of pictures makes it really obvious. Thanks, glad it wasn't just me.

Steve

You my find this interesting.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/dacd4cf2-56cb-4089-8f2d-834420754a91/windows-photo-viewer-and-icc-profiles?forum=w7itproperf

Mark

• Thanks 1

Steve,

You don't say which version of Windows you are using but as you refer to Microsoft "Photos" I'm assuming you're using windows 10. The default photos app in Windows 10 is not colour managed and images look very over saturated on wide gamut screens (as do desktop wallpapers 🙄). The old windows photo viewer can be reinstated however, see https://www.ghacks.net/2018/07/16/how-to-restore-the-windows-photo-viewer-on-windows-10/. This seems to be compatible with version 4 colour profiles.

Craig

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Craig Joiner said:

Steve,

You don't say which version of Windows you are using but as you refer to Microsoft "Photos" I'm assuming you're using windows 10.

The default photos app in Windows 10 is not colour managed and images look very over saturated on wide gamut screens (as do desktop wallpapers 🙄). The old windows photo viewer can be reinstated however, see https://www.ghacks.net/2018/07/16/how-to-restore-the-windows-photo-viewer-on-windows-10/. This seems to be compatible with version 4 colour profiles.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Hah ok, it all makes sense now. I'm using Windows 10 and have a HD wide gamut screen. Ok, I think I will kiss goodbye to using the Photos app then, thanks for the link to the old version.

Steve

10 hours ago, Steve F said:

Hi Craig,

Hah ok, it all makes sense now. I'm using Windows 10 and have a HD wide gamut screen. Ok, I think I will kiss goodbye to using the Photos app then, thanks for the link to the old version.

Steve

Glad you got it sorted. It's not vey impressive that Microsoft still seem to be struggling with colour management...

Mark 

15 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Glad you got it sorted. It's not vey impressive that Microsoft still seem to be struggling with colour management...

Mark 

No it's not. Probably part of cost cutting measures you see everywhere these days....