Firefox colour cast

BidC

Question

Hi all,

I recently downloaded Firefox and today managed to upload a portfolio header (still couldn't use the 'download' stats feature), but one thing I noticed is that my images display with a colour cast that they don't have in Safari.

Has anyone else noticed this ?

I have now removed FF as it's taking up too much disk space, and assume that most pic editors use Safari (or a Windows browser), but am curious as to how others find it.

I have LR set to sRGB, rather than Adobe RGB.

Bridget

15 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I'm no expert, but all browsers should have identical colour. Could you have colour management turned off for some reason?

BTW my FF takes up less that 200MB, hardly a system breaker.

Never checked colour management - so I'm guessing that means each browser does its own thing (so to speak) unless they are set to conform ? I'm a bit puzzled .. the mac display  is set to LCD calibrated (whatever that means ...)

My system is chocabloc - I only have to open PS (with LR) and it tells me 'there is very little disk space' and it can start closing programmes, so FF as well is not necessary. I'm not sure how having another browser helps tbh. 

Edited by BidC

I don't know how to fix it because I've never had to, and I know nothing about Macs.. Maybe you need to read up on colour management. Anyway hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

You could probably save a lot more space by running disk cleanup or whatever it is on a Mac. I have my older images only on external drives to free up space.

Different browsers have their strengths and weaknesses- I use FF mainly but got Chrome as it's easier on the CPU for radio players and it doesn't eat RAM. I haven't used IE for years.

Edited by spacecadet

43 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I don't know how to fix it because I've never had to, and I know nothing about Macs.. Maybe you need to read up on colour management. Anyway hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

You could probably save a lot more space by running disk cleanup or whatever it is on a Mac. I have my older images only on external drives to free up space.

Different browsers have their strengths and weaknesses- I use FF mainly but got Chrome as it's easier on the CPU for radio players and it doesn't eat RAM. I haven't used IE for years.

Have all the above :) Its a small basic Mac ... one day maybe I'll be able to have a bigger version .... I have the system calibrated. I'm not worrying about it ... if I hadn't have downloaded FF briefly I'd never have known. Some things best left alone (!). If I knew about the calibrations etc and what the codes meant, then maybe worth looking further. But I don't. The Adobe tags in the colour section are locked apparently.

Thanks for taking yet time to reply ! Much appreciated.

I have an old iMac. - Have used Chrome browser until recently.  Used Safari but very little.  Downloaded latest Firefox Quantum and set it as default browser couple weeks ago.

I've never noticed any color casts or shifts with any of them.   You might try changing your MacOS desktop background to a solid neutral gray.  Might be some bleed-thru if desktop color is bright color or photo.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

I have an old iMac. - Have used Chrome browser until recently.  Used Safari but very little.  Downloaded latest Firefox Quantum and set it as default browser couple weeks ago.

I've never noticed any color casts or shifts with any of them.   You might try changing your MacOS desktop background to a solid neutral gray.  Might be some bleed-thru if desktop color is bright color or photo.

Hadn't though of that.

OP, have you actually confirmed that the colour displayed is different with the eyedropper, or are you just "seeing" it as different?

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Never thought of that :) If I put FF back, I'll be sure to do that. Makes sense. Thank you Phil

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

ust "seeing" it as different?

Yes - havent done any close inspection, other than with my eye. My face for example looks pinker, and the fields in one image I thought about using as header, look yellower.

Anyway - I live in ignorance if they appear as such on others screens - I've taken down FF and will just carry on using Safari. I calibrated it a long time ago, but really have no idea what the resulting numbers mean - I just followed the instructions.  Images in LR look the same as in my camera, and look the same in Safari and Preview, so I'm hoping thats good enough.

39 minutes ago, BidC said:

I calibrated it a long time ago, but really have no idea what the resulting numbers mean - I just followed the instructions.

If I might ask - how did you calibrate (assume you're referring to your iMac's display)?   An external calibrator or the MacOS's internal display color profiler?

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

If I might ask - how did you calibrate (assume you're referring to your iMac's display)?   An external calibrator or the MacOS's internal display color profiler?

I used the Macs own calibration system. Its a MacBook (laptop), not that that should make a difference. I think I will live in ignorance. No one has mentioned a strange colour cast on my images, so hopefully it was just an artefact within the FF browser.

MacOS's  built-in "Expert" mode display color calibration seems to do just fine for me as well.  Have never felt the need to use an external calibrator.

My system is an iMac however and not sure if/how that carries over to Macbook laptops.  Hopefully it would.

Edited by Phil

It has been years, but I had read the Firefox (FF) was a browser that read the color profile of an image and others

did not?  I'm currently working on an old DELL running Windows 10, calibrated using a Spyder 5, and viewing on a

24inch DELL ultra sharp monitor.  For many years I was using a NEC monitor that I much preferred to the Dell.

My display profile in all Adobe software is set to aRGB.

Also I noticed lately that many images that I view on Alamy appear on my monitor seem to be quite dark and contrasty?

I should also note that I only shoot NEF with NIKON D800's and 700's in 14bit aRGB color and do my conversions to 16bit TIFF 

in Lightroom ,before knocking down to 8bit TIFF's and saving as aRGB JPEG's to upload to Alamy.

16 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

It has been years, but I had read the Firefox (FF) was a browser that read the color profile of an image and others

did not?  I'm currently working on an old DELL running Windows 10, calibrated using a Spyder 5, and viewing on a

24inch DELL ultra sharp monitor.  For many years I was using a NEC monitor that I much preferred to the Dell.

My display profile in all Adobe software is set to aRGB.

Also I noticed lately that many images that I view on Alamy appear on my monitor seem to be quite dark and contrasty?

I should also note that I only shoot NEF with NIKON D800's and 700's in 14bit aRGB color and do my conversions to 16bit TIFF 

in Lightroom ,before knocking down to 8bit TIFF's and saving as aRGB JPEG's to upload to Alamy.

I don't have an answer .... I use a very simple method: upload to Alamy either directly, or through Photomechanic. I process (usually just in LR, sometimes in PS or Luminar), then I export as .jpeg and upload. All on a MacBook Pro. Any calibration has been done using the Apple Mac internal system .... I don't really want to complicate things ... If/when I change monitors, maybe a lot will be revealed then, but my images on Stockimo (viewed on the laptop)  look just as they do on the phone, so I'm happy.

16 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Bid,

Sounds like we are coming at Photograph from different places.  I do not work with a camera phone and

I do a lot of "color critical" work.  If what you are doing works for you,  Fine.

Chuck

Maybe I'm too lax - will have to have a think about that .....but so far, yes, it works.