Early Christmas present to myself

Hi all,

After much deliberation recently I have finally taken the plunge and bought myself the Fuji X-E1 plus 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses today. Purchased through my local independant retailer, Campkins, with a good deal on their standard pricing. They even gave me two new protection filters for the lenses which made the deal cheaper than I could have got with the on-line sellers. Well worth supporting your local independant don't you think?

Now I will have to give some time to familiarise myself with the kit. Planning to buy the accessory handgrip, and the new wide angle zoom, when it arrives. I may also purchase the 60mm macro lens. The "M" adaptor looks good too as it will allow me to use my Leica lenses with the system also.

My existing Canon system is on the way out so if anyone is interested in adding to their system please PM me and I will let you know what there is before it goes on Ebay.

Allan

I'd be very interested to know what you think of the 55-200 Allan.

I have the 60mm lens and it is very good when you learn to use it, I'd definitely recommend that, I use it a lot.

I have a grip that I used on my X Pro 1 that is surplus to requirements. I was going to put it on eBay. If you are interested send me a PM.

I'd be very interested to know what you think of the 55-200 Allan.

I have the 60mm lens and it is very good when you learn to use it, I'd definitely recommend that, I use it a lot.

I have a grip that I used on my X Pro 1 that is surplus to requirements. I was going to put it on eBay. If you are interested send me a PM.

Hi Richard, We tried the grip for the X Pro 1 at the shop but it is too long in the base the X-E1 being a shorter body so I ordered the X-E1 grip at the shop.

Thanks for your offer though.

Allan

Very nice..... I love the 55-200 lens, very sharp and lovely build quality. The 18-55 is no slouch either!!

I've a few of the things that you are considering....

The Fuji grips make a big difference, I have one for the X-Pro and it makes it feel more stable in the hand. You do have to take it off to change the battery over but it's not that big a deal.

The 60mm lens will leave you scratching your head, it is incredibly sharp and very versatile, most of my white background shots were taken with the 60mm. The latest firmware update has improved the AF for this lens a lot, although I didn't have an issue with it before hand. It's also quite lightweight, even with the metal hood.

The "M" adapter is nice, very convenient. The camera automatically recognises / sets itself up when you put a M lense on. I used it with the Voigtlander 12mm but I since sold that lens and bought the 14mm Fuji. If you don't go for the 10-24 zoom that is due out, the 14mm is well worth looking at as an UWA.

By the way, if you have any Flashes or remote trigger releases for the Canon etc, they work on the Fuji so don't get rid of them!!!

By the way, if you have any Flashes or remote trigger releases for the Canon etc, they work on the Fuji so don't get rid of them!!!

Sorry edited your post but thanks for your input and for the heads up on Canon flash and remote releases working on Fuji X.

Allan

I passed on the grip for my X-E1 and elected a half case with built in grip. Provides grip and protective cover in one.

Might be worth a thought.

Thanks for the thought. Not keen on case and have already ordered the bolt on grip. From Campkins of course.

Allan

Allan

It's worth checking that the camera has the latest firmware installed. Hold down the back display button whilst switching on the camera and it will display. Should be v3 for lenses and v2 body. This is important as, apart from improved performance on the zoom lens, you will also get focus peaking when using manual lenses. It's not easy to see in some lighting conditions but once you get the hang of it, it certainly speeds up manual focusing. With regards to the M mount, it does not actually automatically set up. There's a small silver button on the side of the mount which, when depressed, provides the facility to set the focal length which will be recorded in the EXIF data. Obviously, as you change legacy lenses, you should amend accordingly. If you shoot jpegs (!) you can set the lens attributes and distortion corrctions also. You will, of course, need to set the camera to manual to facilitate the zoom in magnification which is also adjustable to taste.

One final tip. Use Class 10 95 m/bs SDHC cards. Improves buffering significantly.

Happy Xmas.

Allan

It's worth checking that the camera has the latest firmware installed. Hold down the back display button whilst switching on the camera and it will display. Should be v3 for lenses and v2 body. This is important as, apart from improved performance on the zoom lens, you will also get focus peaking when using manual lenses. It's not easy to see in some lighting conditions but once you get the hang of it, it certainly speeds up manual focusing. With regards to the M mount, it does not actually automatically set up. There's a small silver button on the side of the mount which, when depressed, provides the facility to set the focal length which will be recorded in the EXIF data. Obviously, as you change legacy lenses, you should amend accordingly. If you shoot jpegs (!) you can set the lens attributes and distortion corrctions also. You will, of course, need to set the camera to manual to facilitate the zoom in magnification which is also adjustable to taste.

One final tip. Use Class 10 95 m/bs SDHC cards. Improves buffering significantly.

Happy Xmas.

Many thanks ReeRay. Gosh it is wonderful to have such a nice lot of informative people on this forum. I'm off for dinner now so will check out firmware tomorrow.

Allan

Archived