New 2017 iMac viewing

I have bought a 27" iMac 2017 version with retina 5k display. When I view a photoshop image at 100% on this iMac, it is half the size of that on my other 27" iMac with Retina display (this is not 5K). I realise it's to do with 5K on the new iMac - has anyone else come across this, is the workaround to view at 200% ?

It is nothing new due to the high res of the monitor and the workaround is to view at 200% although I don't think this is ever quite the same as viewing at 100% on a 2750 pixel or thereabouts 27" monitor. These 27" 4k and 5K monitors are not ideal for photo editing. It is the same working on a 13" Retina MacBookPro - the resolution is too high for the size of the screen. It can be difficult to judge sharpness as images can look very sharp at that resolution. Also the retina screens are highly reflective which can be a problem, particularly in bright rooms. A better solution I think is to use an external monitor if you have one hanging around or can afford to buy one.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Ohmygosh . . . I've been on the move with two 13" MacBooks for 17 months now, one a Pro 2017 without Retina, the other a 2018 Air with Retina. I do PP on both but tend to use the Air more because I have the Nik collection on it. I've had one image fail in that time (a QC mistake) and regular sales. I have the color space on both set for Adobe RGB. If there's something wrong, I don't see it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ohmygosh . . . I've been on the move with two 13" MacBooks for 17 months now, one a Pro 2017 without Retina, the other a 2018 Air with Retina. I do PP on both but tend to use the Air more because I have the Nik collection on it. I've had one image fail in that time (a QC mistake) and regular sales. I have the color space on both set for Adobe RGB. If there's something wrong, I don't see it. 

Edo - it's not that there is something wrong - I did say not ideal for photo editing not that it can't be done but it is far easier, more comfortable and more accurate to edit on a large screen. That said I would not recommend a 27" as a portable travel companion.

For example, I've just come back from a short trip to Yorkshire and was using my 13" MacBookPro for examining and basic editing. One of the things I did was test out a new lens which requires a high degree of pixel peeping. Images that looked pin sharp on the 13" screen no longer do on my 27" matte screen. So the 13" was simply not up to the task in that case. In addition I get eye strain from using a 13" screen and can't see clearly close up for a while if I use it for too long unless I take a serious break. But if I was in your circumstances I would do what you are doing no doubt.

I also found this strange when I first used the 2017 27 inch Mac. 100% was no longer 100%. I didn't understand but just sort of got on with things. I will say that even though I have not been viewing at 200% I have not had any problems with QC and that includes a lot of high ISO work in dark interiors which I have needed to downsize to around 3800 pixels longest edge to reduce noise - and I have been doing all this assessment at the 'false' 100%..

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1