Rights free

phomme

Question

5 answers to this question

Very few of your images would really fit the Royalty Free model. Can I safely assume you do not have releases for those models and entertainers? The wildlife images would be OK. Alamy advise that quite a lot of their clients are looking for royalty-free, but I suspect many of them have a limited understanding of what Royalty-Free really means.The "free" bit sounds nice! Like a Free lunch sounds nice but it seldom works out that way. But I'm from the old school where you attempt to negotiate the maximum fee for the most restrictions you can impose hoping that your client may come back later for rights extensions for extra payment. Sadly, there is not a lot of that left.

I remember A publisher negotiated a fee for a paperback cover and requested  a fee based on Canadian Rights only. It was a pretty good fee anyway. The title proved popular and over the following years I invoiced about ten more publishers internationally as the regional rights were bought up.I think I charged the same fee as the original Canadian fee.most times. The USA rights never came up which was strange. Didn't happen often enough! 

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Love 1

If you decide make your images Royalty Free, then you will have to check the "editorial use only" box in AIM for most of them unless you have releases for people and/or property. Once upon a time, RF images went for higher fees than RM ones because unlimited use and duration were being granted. Now that the stock photography world has been turned upside down, RF images can be had for pennies through microstock agencies, and RM images with limited usage usually go for higher prices, which makes no sense at all. I guess the main reason for designating images as RF nowadays is to perhaps make them more attractive to buyers who don't want to bother negotiating usage rights. But I may be missing something...

• Love 1

Most of my images are RM.

If I had marked some of them as RF I don't think I would have had repeat sales like my best seller which has been sold 30 times for $1558 or another sold for 7 times for $473.

John.