Making art work in Context ideas....

meanderingemu

Question

What ways do people use to make art work in context?  For example i am now looking at a mural of a musical school... Originally i would have included the door of the building, maybe even someone coming out, but with the Kander, David Lynch picture fiasco, are we forced to make sure that the art itself is not left crop-able on it's own?   Just looking at ideas .... 

4 answers to this question

The context thing can be confusing. For instance, I thought that including people in a street mural image would give enough context. However, I had one with two people walking by a mural painted on the side of a building removed from the database not long ago due to lack of context.

48 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

There's no telling what a publisher will do, but as long as you've captioned properly you're not liable. You can't prevent an image being cropped to remove context and you don't have to.

Alamy seems to disagree since they have removed the Lynch picture from the database. 

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

Alamy seems to disagree since they have removed the Lynch picture from the database. 

That's Alamy's prerogative as per the contract. Probably as there's a dispute they thought it prudent. But I stand by my comment.

Alamy has put out advice on context- I happen to take a slightly different view but there you are. It won't change my own policy. Personally I wouldn't have singled out a gallery photograph in that way as a matter of professional courtesy, but everyone must take his own view.

Archived