New member portfolio critique

takopa

You have some fantastically beautiful, well-taken images. You’ve included people, +1. I didn’t spend much time looking at captions and tags, but I did notice TRNWNJ you have misspelled a word in the caption. Spings should be springs.

Keep on with what you are doing. You have a lot of travel images. Don’t forget to get more personal with people, closer ups with somebody doing something like cooking, serving a meal, washing clothes, children playing, a family picnic, party or celebration.

Or a waiter serving in a restaurant, a worker tossing pizza, etc.

Betty

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You have some fantastically beautiful, well-taken images. You’ve included people, +1. I didn’t spend much time looking at captions and tags, but I did notice TRNWNJ you have misspelled a word in the caption. Spings should be springs.

Keep on with what you are doing. You have a lot of travel images. Don’t forget to get more personal with people, closer ups with somebody doing something like cooking, serving a meal, washing clothes, children playing, a family picnic, party or celebration.

Or a waiter serving in a restaurant, a worker tossing pizza, etc.

Betty

Thank you very much Betty for your nice words and tips, much appreciated.

Some very nice photos, including some well executed cut outs.

I would suggest that you be a little more discriminating in what you upload, ask if your images stand comparison with those already available, and, if not, how can you do better? Some shots are without a clear focus or obvious purpose, ask yourself who would buy that image and where would they use it,  e.g. there are several of white walls and blue doors - you decide which are the best shots and kill the remainder. Try to avoid irrelevant foreground, cut to the chase and make more of the subject. Try getting in closer to the people you are photographing, engage them in conversation and ask their permission to take photos. If necessary pose friends and family members, or use a tripod and include yourself in the shots.

43 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Some very nice photos, including some well executed cut outs.

I would suggest that you be a little more discriminating in what you upload, ask if your images stand comparison with those already available, and, if not, how can you do better? Some shots are without a clear focus or obvious purpose, ask yourself who would buy that image and where would they use it,  e.g. there are several of white walls and blue doors - you decide which are the best shots and kill the remainder. Try to avoid irrelevant foreground, cut to the chase and make more of the subject. Try getting in closer to the people you are photographing, engage them in conversation and ask their permission to take photos. If necessary pose friends and family members, or use a tripod and include yourself in the shots.

Thank you very much for your insights, valuable advice.

• 3 weeks later...

You have a lot of beautiful and some outstanding images.  However, you are in the highly competitive travel market (in my view).  I think you need to do a little more work on your keywords.  A cursory glance shows that some of your photos keywords do not contain location names.  You should repeat the information in the caption in the keywords and particularly supertags.  

Keep up,oading and you will see sales.  I would agree about having more people in the images, it does seem to help, but a splendid portfolio