Please review & comment on my portfolio

AlexG

Hi Fellow Photographers,

I shoot for hobby and do not do client work. Last month I opened an Alamy account and hoping. So far it seems I have just two views. Comments on what I currently have would be appreciated, and advice on what different type of content may be more sought after.

Here is my link: https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/688956.html.

• 2 weeks later...

I like your images a lot but you will need more, more, more. You have an imaginative way of looking at things so I think you will eventually be making sales. You need to put the latin names of plants and flowers in your keywords. I think your smiley face needs some keywords like "funny" "humorous" ,etc. Also the British spelling of "humour". If you watch the threads that show what images have sold you'll learn a lot about what sells. Generally, we are advised to shoot people doing things, but lots of subjects sell. Anything that has to do with current news is good. Try to think like a buyer when you do your keywords. What words are likely to bring up your images. The images themselves are really good and it just takes time and numbers. Don't upload just to get numbers though. Our best people here have a very high quality of images and a great variety.

Paulette

• Love 1

2 hours ago, AlexG said:

No one here interested to take a quick look?   =(

Hello Alex,

Took a quick look.  I'll be honest I also have checked to see what you have elsewhere and I see you lean towards the creative, very nice images.  For Alamy as far as content, it is mentioned so often in the threads, shoot more images of daily life, including people doing everyday things; those sell well, you know a bit more editorial.  You'll need to upload quite a few more images and preferably not all the same ones you have on other sites (the micros), you'll just be competing against yourself.  You also have good captioning on your images. Everything else will depend on your determination, persistence, perseverance.  If you are willing to stick around, and not just passing through (I only mention this because of your 'I shoot for hobby...' intro), then you'll very quickly get a feel for what type of content is sought after and what you need to do by browsing the forum and reading threads like 'images sold' to give you an even better idea.

Best of luck!

Helen 

• Love 1

Thank you Paulette and John! Both of you are over 1000 images, so makes sense that I need to keep adding. Does adding new images also bring traffic to earlier ones? Thanks for the many good words of advice, Paulette. I will make sure to try and add more keywords. That's the part I struggle with most.

Edited by AlexG

4 minutes ago, hsessions said:

Hello Alex,

Took a quick look.  I'll be honest I also have checked to see what you have elsewhere and I see you lean towards the creative, very nice images.  For Alamy as far as content, it is mentioned so often in the threads, shoot more images of daily life, including people doing everyday things; those sell well, you know a bit more editorial.  You'll need to upload quite a few more images and preferably not all the same ones you have on other sites (the micros), you'll just be competing against yourself.  You also have good captioning on your images. Everything else will depend on your determination, persistence, perseverance.  If you are willing to stick around, and not just passing through (I only mention this because of your 'I shoot for hobby...' intro), then you'll very quickly get a feel for what type of content is sought after and what you need to do by browsing the forum and reading threads like 'images sold' to give you an even better idea.

Best of luck!

Helen 

Thank you so much for this detailed feedback, Helen! I definitely need to upload way more. Shooting of people mainly relates to my family, my kids in particular. And if it is of others, I don't have releases. So is that what you mean for editorial purposes?

The reason I have them on micro sites is to see what type sells where. I will most likely leave some of the abstract/object stuff on the micro sites, and the more editorial stuff on here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexG said:

Thank you so much for this detailed feedback, Helen! I definitely need to upload way more. Shooting of people mainly relates to my family, my kids in particular. And if it is of others, I don't have releases. So is that what you mean for editorial purposes?

The reason I have them on micro sites is to see what type sells where. I will most likely leave some of the abstract/object stuff on the micro sites, and the more editorial stuff on here.

Shooting family and kids and having releases, all the better.  But for editorial purposes, you don't need releases, that was exactly what I meant, yes.  And again, good luck.

• Love 1