Best Selling Images For A Given Keyword

John J Bloomfield

Question

Hi Guys

Apologies if this has been asked before I did search but couldn't find the answer.

If I wanted to find out what the best selling image for a given keyword on Alamy is - is it is as simple as doing a search and sorting by relevant will that put the best selling image at the top of the list?

7 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, John J Bloomfield said:

Hi Guys

Apologies if this has been asked before I did search but couldn't find the answer.

If I wanted to find out what the best selling image for a given keyword on Alamy is - is it is as simple as doing a search and sorting by relevant will that put the best selling image at the top of the list?

Not quite so simple, at lot of factors incluence on this ranking - of which we don't know all. But sales and how the keywords are represented in the caption and keywords and the upload date will probably have influence. But sometimes the order is changed to get new images on top.

31 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

Not quite so simple, at lot of factors incluence on this ranking - of which we don't know all. But sales and how the keywords are represented in the caption and keywords and the upload date will probably have influence. But sometimes the order is changed to get new images on top.

Is there a way to see what the best selling image in a keyword is at all? Just so we can understand 'what sells'

28 minutes ago, John J Bloomfield said:

Is there a way to see what the best selling image in a keyword is at all? Just so we can understand 'what sells'

The tools don't work like that.

In Alamy measures you can see what keywords have been used for zooms and views. I don't think the sales part works.

In Alamy measures - All of Alamy (AoA) - you can use %durham f.inst. to see in what customer searches durham occurs in and see what other keywords have been used together with Durham. You can also see the sales in this view.

To find out about your specific wishes will need som manual viewing and counting.

It's an interesting question without an easy answer. If you search Alamy for say "elephant" you can be reasonably sure that the first page will comprise (mostly) higher ranked images, though you have no way of knowing how often any one of them sold, or even if they ever sold.

If you search AoA for the same keyword you can find how often the keyword was used in the period, how many images contained the keyword, and how many images sold, but again there is no way to identify an individual image as a best seller.

I guess if you could identify a unique keyword and search AoA for that, the results returned and hence the sales would be for that unique keyword. But other than a contributor inserted cipher I can't see that there are many such unique keywords.

Archived