Hello

jenny k

Hello I am a new member and a little confused, I have got my first three photos accepted and I am uploading more, I thought you would be able to put your photo's under a category also m photos must be poor as they have put them in the poor discoverability. can someone give me a few tips, am I up loading them correctly also what sort of photos sell well , is it landscapes or close ups of animals and flowers etc, thank you

Don't pay any attention to "discoverability". it only counts the number of tags you use and too many is worse than too few. Only put what is actually in the image. If you look at the forum threads on "images found" and "images sold" you will get an idea what will sell. You can only put photos in categories if you do the portfolio that is available in your dashboard and that will only be seen by people you send it to or Facebook, etc. It may be a waste of time.

Paulette

+1 on what NYCat says about poor discoverability; it is a massive red herring.   Good (green) discoverability can only be achieved by getting close to 50 keywords (tags) and 9 or ten supertags . For many images you can only do this by putting in tags which are peripheral to the main subject, which leads to false positives in searches, which harms your search ranking. You will find this discussed extensively in the forum.

There are two fields for categories in the additional info tab in Alamy Image Manager (AIM). I don't think Alamy have fully implemented them and I don't know that customers use them that much, but they are there is you want to use them. I don't bother using them at all.

What sells is almost everything as Alamy has a very diverse collection. It's strongest area is in editorial photos, especially involving people, places and events. Generic soft editorial also sells from time to time. Pictures of generic landscapes, flowers, plants, animals have to be exceptional to compete with the millions of others on the site. They stand the best chance if you are very specific about what is in the picture: breeds, species, Latin names, etc. Your beach scene is your strongest picture so far, but you need to be more specific about the location, if you can - which beach? As the image contains unreleased people you also need to set it as RF-Editorial or RM.  Read thoroughly the introductory Alamy material for new contributors and browse the forums - most questions proffered by new contributors have been answered many times there.

On 04/03/2019 at 11:48, Joseph Clemson said:

+1 on what NYCat says about poor discoverability; it is a massive red herring.   Good (green) discoverability can only be achieved by getting close to 50 keywords (tags) and 9 or ten supertags . For many images you can only do this by putting in tags which are peripheral to the main subject, which leads to false positives in searches, which harms your search ranking. You will find this discussed extensively in the forum.

There are two fields for categories in the additional info tab in Alamy Image Manager (AIM). I don't think Alamy have fully implemented them and I don't know that customers use them that much, but they are there is you want to use them. I don't bother using them at all.

What sells is almost everything as Alamy has a very diverse collection. It's strongest area is in editorial photos, especially involving people, places and events. Generic soft editorial also sells from time to time. Pictures of generic landscapes, flowers, plants, animals have to be exceptional to compete with the millions of others on the site. They stand the best chance if you are very specific about what is in the picture: breeds, species, Latin names, etc. Your beach scene is your strongest picture so far, but you need to be more specific about the location, if you can - which beach? As the image contains unreleased people you also need to set it as RF-Editorial or RM.  Read thoroughly the introductory Alamy material for new contributors and browse the forums - most questions proffered by new contributors have been answered many times there.

+1

Of your three images so far the beach is the most likely to sell followed by the garden. You must however be very precise with the locations; name of beach, name of gardens, and neither of them can be RF - the beach because there are people in it with no MR, and the gardens because they are likely private, with no PR. Put the location both in the caption and the keywords. So the caption for the beach might be something like "People on holiday sunbathing on "X" beach on a sunny day , "X" beach, Malta, the Mediterranean, Europe." , and keywords might include "beach, malta beach, malta, mediterranean, coast, sea seashore, people, holiday, sunbathing, sand, sandy, sandy, beach, blue sky, sun, sunshine,sunny day, summer, vacation, crowds, crowds, crowded, "

Hope this helps, and good luck

Kumar

Archived