Nikon 1 J3 with 10-30mm lens

I have also been thinking about this camera due to a lot of the photographers on this forum moving to smaller, compact cameras which would be ideal for me when I am semi driving since I can have one of these ready for when I am driving and encounter something. I spend most of my time driving  my semi on roads in northern Canada and often come across fabulous images, but I am wary about bringing my SLR outfit with me (things bounce around quite a bit). Many times Fuji and Sony systems have been mentioned but I haven't heard much about the Nikon system, especially since these seem to be a little easier on the pocketbook.

Chris

I have a couple of test images which have been through QA from a Nikon V1. I wanted to see if they would make it through before submitting any more, and whilst I'm not planning to use it as my main system for stock - I'm sticking with my D4/D800 combination - I will use the V1 for walkabout when I'm with the family or where I don't think I want to use/attract attention with the DSLRs.

Both images went through without any issue BUT I used the FT-1 and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 as the lens. My opinion of the 10-30mm system lens isn't that high I'm afraid and whilst I'd use it for purely family snaps and video it isn't anywhere near the quality I would want for stock. The primes might be better - but with a bag of F mount lenses the FT-1 made a more sensible investment. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't pass QA, just that I'm not prepared to risk it when I have alternatives.

Lenses vary so much, I've bought some that are supposed to be great and have been dissapointed.  My 10-30mm for the V1 seems better than the samples I've seen in reviews.  I mostly use the 30-110 on my V1 and I'm very pleased with that.  As alamy accept photos from some compacts with much smaller sensors, like the Canon G15, I think the J3 should be fine.

Archived