Ensuring Alamy Exclusivity

Having recently become an Alamy contributor I was pleased to learn that I can retain my own website.  However, I asked Alamy whether they could give me some wording for the Permissions Page to alert potential image stealers that they were "registered" with Alamy and to direct them to Alamy should they wish to make a purchase.  Alamy could not help and suggested I ask other contributors via the forum to find out what they do.  My website host flatly refuses to disable right click actions and I can;t understand why.  The only actions associated with right click on an image is to allow people to copy, download and use it for unauthorised/unpaid purposes.   I am wondering what I need to do.  All of my images on my website are showing a copyright symbol and name and I can add the website host name as a watermark but not only does that look awful, but I would have to reload all of my images, numbering some 500.  Not a task I am really wanting to take on.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sheila

1 hour ago, Sheila Child said:

Having recently become an Alamy contributor I was pleased to learn that I can retain my own website.  However, I asked Alamy whether they could give me some wording for the Permissions Page to alert potential image stealers that they were "registered" with Alamy and to direct them to Alamy should they wish to make a purchase.  Alamy could not help and suggested I ask other contributors via the forum to find out what they do.  My website host flatly refuses to disable right click actions and I can;t understand why.  The only actions associated with right click on an image is to allow people to copy, download and use it for unauthorised/unpaid purposes.   I am wondering what I need to do.  All of my images on my website are showing a copyright symbol and name and I can add the website host name as a watermark but not only does that look awful, but I would have to reload all of my images, numbering some 500.  Not a task I am really wanting to take on.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sheila

Cant help with the Alamy side - might be able to help with the website side.

What platform is your website running on?

I can't see that this has anything to do with Alamy- your images aren't "registered" there, they're just for sale there. You can link to your Alamy images or present your port in a frame.

Telling people they're about to breach copyright is all very well but it won't stop it.

5 hours ago, Sheila Child said:

Thanks

Sheila

Even if you could disable right-click, it won't stop a screen grab. A watermark is probably your best option even though you've said it would take some effort. Alternatively choose a website/host that allows you to add a watermark you are happy with even after you've uploaded them. Unfortunately the less intrusive the watermark is, the less effective it is at deterring abuse of your images. If you're not selling images directly from your website, you could use the new Alamy portfolio option page to showcase your images?

Mark

Thanks for your replies.  My website is hosted by clikpic and they have again confirmed they won't disable right click.  I am not selling images directly from the website and as Mark suggests, I will use the Alamy portfolio page when I have completed uploading.  It looks as if that will be the future track for me.  Thanks also spacecadet.  I understand they are not "registered" - that is why I punctuated the word in that way, but it adds to the impression that any wrong-doing by image thieves may well be discovered.  Thanks again for your help.

Sheila

I see clikpic is a templated host - effectively denying you half the easy functionality you need.  My experience with such hosts is the longer you use them and the more you start to understand web building the more frustrated you will get.

I would recommend anyone looking to do their own site to use one of the open source systems - the most obvious being WordPress.  If you do not feel you want to take on the whole web build Wordpress do offer their own templated host at www.wordpress.com which will operate in a very similar way to clikpic - only you will also have access to plugins to do things like a watermark on site and disable right click.  Then if you do catch the bug it is far easier to move a site to independent hosting and take on full control as it were.

Thanks starsphinx.  I went with clikpic many moons ago when they invited me to be one of their first 10 contributors.  At that time, my husband was involved in start-up support and they saw some of my B/W images which they liked.  They were all 35mm film so no good for today's upload market without all the camera data, minimum pixels etc.  I know nothing about web design and, if I am honest, was flattered by the invitation.  Their template system was OK for me but it did take time to learn.  It was far from intuitive.  I have been with them ever since but, as you say, I have got increasingly frustrated at their lack of willingness to move with the times.  They have only just gone over to a mobile friendly platform!!

I will look into moving it but for the immediate future, I am now thinking that sticking with the Alamy portfolio page will be the best way to go forward,.  When that is ready I will have more time to either take it down or move it elsewhere.

Thanks again for your time and advice.

Sheila

Archived