SMALL IMPROVEMENT NEEDED TO WEB UPLOAD PLEASE

Allan Bell

Hello Alamy I would like to ask for a small improvement to the web upload.

When uploading images the system sometimes stops the upload partway through and does not seem to want to start again after having downloaded so many images onto your system already. At this point, because of other needs of our computer, we have to cancel the upload, which unfortunately, also cancels the already downloaded images on your system.

Could it be made that if we have to cancel the upload due to needing to use the computer for other work the images already uploaded to your system are kept and processed ready for QC then when we are able the remainder of the upload could be finished at a later time?

Thank you

Allan

If I was doing news shooting I would certainly go the FTP route but I don't. I stuck with the web upload because it usually works fine for me when uploading small batches, which is most of the time.

If it comes to it and I start putting larger quantities in the upload on a regular basis and the web stops too often then I will go the FTP route.

Allan

29 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Well my lifetime average sub size is only 26. Once you try it you'll never look back.

Thanks Mark. My sub size is usually 5 to 10.:)

Allan

• 1 month later...
On 11/01/2019 at 17:31, spacecadet said:

Well my lifetime average sub size is only 26. Once you try it you'll never look back.

Have to say I agree. I tried it for the first time last week when web upload just wouldn't work. So I downloaded and installed free Filezilla app, entered Alamy FTP server details (see below) and then drag and dropped my images between the local and remote folders. Boom - done in seconds. Here's Alamy's help on ftp. I think I'll stick with FTP from now on.

Mark

FTP

This is a quick and easy way to send us your images:

1. You’ll need an FTP client, we recommend Filezilla, FirefTP, WinSCP, Cyberduck, or ClassicFTP
  1. Enter Alamy’s FTP details into your FTP Client:
  • Host name: upload.alamy.com
  • Login/username: Your Alamy email
  • Port: 21
  • Your password is the same as your Alamy login
  1. Drag your images to the relevant folder:
  • Live News (news, sport, entertainment less than 24 hours old)
  • Stock (if it’s your first submission only send 3 images)
  • Archive stock (for all reportage and archival images)
  • Vectors (for all vector files)

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Have to say I agree. I tried it for the first time last week when web upload just wouldn't work. So I downloaded and installed free Filezilla app, entered Alamy FTP server details (see below) and then drag and dropped my images between the local and remote folders. Boom - done in seconds. Here's Alamy's help on ftp. I think I'll stick with FTP from now on.

Mark

You may have done this already, but you can customise the folder navigation to make FZ start with the correct folders already open, so you don't even have to click through.

https://gilsmethod.com/customize-filezilla-settings-to-quickly-reach-directories-on-your-server

It is quick, isn't it? In fact, if you look at those speed readings while it's uploading, or time your uploads, you'll find it's pretty much up to your line profile rate. So it's not only fast, it's as fast as can be.

I use the Lightroom Alamy plugin to publish straight from LR and can use the PC for other things whilst it's happening.
I did use FTPo it's own before changing to this method and it's way quicker than the web upload.

Archived