Just had a sale come through.

I have not had one with Repeat use permitted before I take it that Alamy will be allowing this without further payment, thank you Alamy for giving my images away for free.

Usage: Magazine, Editorial print and digital use. Any size.Any Placement.Repeat use permitted
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 27 December 2018
End: 27 December 2023

2 hours ago, Liam Bunce said:

I have not had one with Repeat use permitted before I take it that Alamy will be allowing this without further payment, thank you Alamy for giving my images away for free.

Usage: Magazine, Editorial print and digital use. Any size.Any Placement.Repeat use permitted

This has been in some licences for a while now. Though I must admit I didn't notice it until I found a repeat use and questioned it and the original sale ()over a year previously) was referred to.

The reuse may not have been 'for free'. 'Maybe' the price was a bit higher to allow for repeat use, even if the price is small.

Or then again ... who knows?

3 hours ago, Liam Bunce said:

Another example of poor communication by Alamy. Is the Repeat Use an extension of the duration after the first 5 years? If so, why not specify. Is it for a second placement during the initial 5 years? Is this two licenses in one? No wonder people new to stock are often confused about licensing. Alamy muddies the waters and then does little to identify or collect on infringement. I had higher hopes for Alamy, but after twenty years they seem to not care about generating licenses that clearly set down the terms for end use. February is just around the corner. I wish they could convince me of their abilities regarding licensing (I'm all RM). 

40 minutes ago, KevinS said:

Another example of poor communication by Alamy. Is the Repeat Use an extension of the duration after the first 5 years? If so, why not specify. Is it for a second placement during the initial 5 years?

In my case, they told me that it meant repeated uses in the same magazine within the stated five years.

Still does not make any sense! So was the initial sale and price for a single use anytime during the five year period. And the repeated uses were free. Sounds like a big customer where the only winners are Alamy and the customer and it makes an absolute mockery of a RM licence!

Regen

In the past I've granted customers unlimited use of an image within a certain time period. But for big money, which I doubt is the case here due to the times we're in and what I've seen of Alamy lately. 

9 minutes ago, regen said:

Still does not make any sense! So was the initial sale and price for a single use anytime during the five year period. And the repeated uses were free. Sounds like a big customer where the only winners are Alamy and the customer and it makes an absolute mockery of a RM licence!

Regen

Huh?

The rights which were granted are the right to use the image more than once in one magazine over a five year period. That's RM. (Do you never buy 3 for 2 in a shop? That doesn't allow you to take any number for the price of two. It's an incentive, not a free for all.)

There have been much broader rights granted on RM files than these, almost no different to RF, and for tiny prices. Logically RF should cost a lot more, but that doesn't seem to happen.

2 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Huh?

The rights which were granted are the right to use the image more than once in one magazine over a five year period. That's RM. (Do you never buy 3 for 2 in a shop? That doesn't allow you to take any number for the price of two. It's an incentive, not a free for all.)

There have been much broader rights granted on RM files than these, almost no different to RF, and for tiny prices. Logically RF should cost a lot more, but that doesn't seem to happen.

The details given in the OP really don't make things clear. Does repeat use mean two insertions or twenty? Unrestricted repeat use is not something that should be granted without proper compensation. A few keystrokes, license created, fee charged, and on to the next one seems to be Alamy's slapdash licensing model. 

Archived