Upload To High Sierra Mac OS X 10.13.4. Problem with DDP Not Recognising Upload

Upgraded to High Sierra Mac OS X 10.13.4. today and when bring Canon DPP into view I only have greyed out Raw Files and Tiffs. Can anyone please help me solve problem? Been on Canon UK website and states operating system is compatible. I also am unsure as to how to make Mac aware of identifying my 5D Mk11. Hope someone can help me. Thank you in advance.

Where are you uploading the image files? Are the greyed out images still on the memory chip, or are they already on a network drive connected to your computer, or are they on your boot drive?

Apple changed the disc formatting  in High Sierra from Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to APFS. The High Sierra upgrade installation changes the format on your boot drive to APFS, but not on any other drives connected to the system.

I used SuperDuper software from my boot drive to copy working files from the boot drive over to another drive on the network that was formatted with the old file allocation.

SuperDuper showed a copy error when trying to copy, after upgrading to High Sierra. Superduper worked fine when I changed the network drive to be the same as the boot drive. IE APFS to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) does not work with SuperDuper. However APFS to APFS does. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) also works with SuperDuper under High Sierra.

Upgrading a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive to APFS can be done in, Mac High Sierra Disc Utility/edit/convert to APFS. It is simple and did not destroy any of my data. I would not run it on a camera memory chip however.

Apple is absolutely no help in this matter. Special place in hell for Apple.

Superduper support pointed me in the right direction.

My old Adobe software works OK under High Sierra with a mix of disc formatting.

Does Canon UK have a support contact?

Bill Brooks

OMG. I am going to get a new MacBook Pro in the new year at some point. I copy images onto my desktop using a card reader and then I import into Lightroom putting the images and copies on two external hard drives that I have formatted to Mac Os Extended (Journaled). Am I going to be having a problem with the new computer??? Not very knowledgable about this stuff. Just need to add that I use SuperDuper to make a bootable backup of my hard drive and that sounds like it will be a problem if I continue to use my old external hard drives. Right?

Paulette

I don't think it will be anything to do with APFS. Have you tried reinstalling Canon DPP?

Paulette, there's some info on the Carbon Copy Cloner website that may help. See https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/everything-you-need-know-about-carbon-copy-cloner-and-apfs

I believe the key statement is "Having an HFS+ backup of an APFS-formatted startup volume is perfectly acceptable, that will function just fine for any future restores, even to an APFS-formatted volume." Hope that helps.

You may want to update SuperDuper to the latest version for full APFS compatibility.

Mark

Paulette: 

No problem at all. You can continue to use your external hard drives on your new APFS computer. To use SuperDuper on your new APFS computer and make a bootable copy on another OS Extended (Journaled) external hard drive, you have to first upgrade your Mac OS Extended (Journaled) external hard drive to APFS yourself, so it will receive the copy and then boot from that copy.

It is a really simple, painless, quick, no data lost, process.

To run High Sierra your computer boot drive has to be APFS, so the High Sierra install does it for you automatically, but to the boot drive only.

The very latest version of Mac SuperDuper, compatible with High Sierra, will not copy data from a APFS boot drive running under High Sierra to a external Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive running under High Sierra. The two drives have to have the same APFS formatting for SuperDuper to work. SuperDuper will copy APFS to APFS or also Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). SuperDuper has incompatibilities that they cannot fix when copying from one format to the other format. This info is from SuperDuper support.

Right now I am running High Sierra with APFS on the boot drive and a mixture of APFS on some external drives, and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on other external drives. They will all function in the finder, but SuperDuper has incompatibilities when copying between the two formats.

Bill

Thank you, Mark. SuperDuper always lets me know if there is an update and I do it. They are also very helpful when I have a problem so I am going to trust that I will muddle through when the time comes. Anyway, it was nice to have the heads up.

Paulette

Thank you , Bill. I was writing at the same time you were. So the bootable copy will have to be on an external drive that I have changed to APFS if I understand you. I do wish they would just stop changing things!!!

Paulette

4 hours ago, MyShot said:

Upgraded to High Sierra Mac OS X 10.13.4. today and when bring Canon DPP into view I only have greyed out Raw Files and Tiffs. Can anyone please help me solve problem? Been on Canon UK website and states operating system is compatible. I also am unsure as to how to make Mac aware of identifying my 5D Mk11. Hope someone can help me. Thank you in advance.

I'm running High Sierra Mac OS X 10.13.6 and Canon's DPP 4.8.30 on an iMac and MacBook Pro without any issues. Uploading using Canon's EOS Utility 3 for a 6D and EOS Utility 2 for an older 7D, if that's any help

Steven

5 hours ago, MyShot said:

I run High Sierra 10.13.6 on 3 of my Macs. All have Apple Flash Storage installed and are formatted to APFS. I have no trouble mounting my cameras SD cards on their desktops, and if I copy their RAW files onto the desktop there are no issues, though normally I Ingest via Photo Mechanic. If you were already running high Sierra the latest and last upgrade was for 10.13.6. If you had previously downloaded 10.13.4 when it was current, then held off installing until now, then upgrade to 10.13.6 via the App Store if you haven't already had an Apple nag.

I suspect your problem may relate to DPP, and your image files were copied onto your Mac before it was upgraded. Canon lists the DPP version compatible with High Sierra as version 4.7.21. Is this the version you are running?

Canon states that the 5D Mk11 should be seen by High Sierra when connected by USB. I think your 5D uses CF cards, so Apple's SD card readers are no use.  When I last used a Sony DSCR1 that used CF cards, I found a USB card reader far better than a USB to camera connection.

Hope you resolve the problem soon. I haven't used Canon camera's since film days, loved my T90's.

Edit -  just seen the post above. It appears there is a newer version of DPP than listed on Canon's web site as compatible with High Sierra.

Steve

Thank you all for your valuable input relating to my problem. I have resolved the issue by updating Canon DPP. Just punched in my Canon 5D Mk11 and current operating system on my Mac and hey presto back in the game. Once again thank you all very much, regards Peter.

Archived