Anyone using the Canon Pixma Pro-100 Printer?

6 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Buying anything online is a long stretch into hell, but especially buying a printer. I am so tired of researching every purchase ad infinitum. That's why I have gone over a year without a printer. I loved my Canon Pixma 922 and super annoyed I have to figure out a new solution now.

As far as prosumer photo quality printers are concerned there are really only two brands of inkjet on the market: Canon and Epson. I am more familiar with Epson but it looks to me like Canon are no longer making the Canon Pixma Pro-100 or Canon Pixma Pro-100S so if you want an 8 colour or more printer (best for quality) you are looking at either the Canon Pixma Pro-200 or the Canon PRO-300 in the US (going by the B&H website). The only Epson printer in that range is the SC-P700 which is the new version of the SC-P600 (excellent printer).

The cheaper printers seem to be all 6 colour which may be adequate for your purposes and there is a while range of multi-purpose printers which is mind boggling. For photo printers there are only two it seems: the Canon iP8720 and the Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000 both mid price 6 colour printers. 

Edited by MDM

11 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

I've been more than a year without a printer of any kind.

If you don't need colour then a B&W laser printer is a great option. I have one here for document and general printing and its great. I have had it 5 years and have got through one cartridge and am using the second. The only downside is that it takes a minute or so to print which can seem long in our ADD instant-everything world.

5 hours ago, MDM said:

As far as prosumer photo quality printers are concerned there are really only two brands of inkjet on the market: Canon and Epson. I am more familiar with Epson but it looks to me like Canon are no longer making the Canon Pixma Pro-100 or Canon Pixma Pro-100S so if you want an 8 colour or more printer (best for quality) you are looking at either the Canon Pixma Pro-200 or the Canon PRO-300 in the US (going by the B&H website). The only Epson printer in that range is the SC-P700 which is the new version of the SC-P600 (excellent printer).

The cheaper printers seem to be all 6 colour which may be adequate for your purposes and there is a while range of multi-purpose printers which is mind boggling. For photo printers there are only two it seems: the Canon iP8720 and the Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000 both mid price 6 colour printers. 

Thanks for the great info! I will research these. I just recently got the idea to get separate printers. One for photos, one for work/documents/scan. I'm going to start a new thread about printing photos in particular.