Location IDs

Sally

This photo was taken in Amsterdam, I believe, in 1963/4. Any ideas what this place is?

digital-conversion-of-slide-taken-in-196

And this is somewhere in either Holland or Belgium, again in 1963/4. Anyone know where it is?

digital-conversion-of-slide-taken-in-196

Number 2 is in Belgium: Ghent.

The same viewpoint now on Google Maps.

Looking out over the river Leie from the Vismarkt bridge towards the Graslei and Korenlei with the Groot Vleeshuis on the left.

The plural kinderkostumen in stead of the more common Dutch kinderkostuums makes me think the costume rental shop is in Belgium too. A full size image would maybe reveal the text on the signs in the middle.

wim

11 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Number 2 is in Belgium: Ghent.

The same viewpoint now on Google Maps.

Looking out over the river Leie from the Vismarkt bridge towards the Graslei and Korenlei with the Groot Vleeshuis on the left.

The plural kinderkostumen in stead of the more common Dutch kinderkostuums makes me think the costume rental shop is in Belgium too. A full size image would maybe reveal the text on the signs in the middle.

wim

Thanks very much. It would make sense that they are both in Be,glum, actually as consecutive photos in a collection. Difficult to read the lettering in the middle of the top picture, but it’s something like:

WECKSEN_______TUNGEN

RESESCHECKS

presumably a fancy dress costume shop

21 minutes ago, Sally said:

Thanks very much. It would make sense that they are both in Be,glum, actually as consecutive photos in a collection. Difficult to read the lettering in the middle of the top picture, but it’s something like:

WECKSEN_______TUNGEN

RESESCHECKS

presumably a fancy dress costume shop

Yes Carnival is a very big thing there.

If you want me to try and read it, you could send me a full size scan:  wimATwiskerkeDOTcom

wim

7 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Yes Carnival is a very big thing there.

If you want me to try and read it, you could send me a full size scan:  wimATwiskerkeDOTcom

wim

Many thanks to Wim for an amazing analysis of the first photograph which narrows it down to the centre of Ghent. I doubt this place still exists from my own further research.

8 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

What was the search phrase?

And were there more zooms?

wim

Two zooms for my archive images. One was for “baby 1950s”. This one was for “woman 1960s”. Both specified model releases. Why?

Just now, Sally said:

Two zooms for my archive images. One was for “baby 1950s”. This one was for “woman 1960s”. Both specified model releases. Why?

That's great!

I meant if there were more zooms for the same search phrase.

According to AoA it was a single zoom in 7 pages @ 100.

That's even better!

wim

10 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

That's great!

I meant if there were more zooms for the same search phrase.

According to AoA it was a single zoom in 7 pages @ 100.

That's even better!

wim

Yes, I shall keep my fingers crossed. All of my images are exclusive to Alamy so don’t know if that makes any difference.

Just for fun, I thought that people might be interested in these views of a small town in Bavaria called Rothenburg ob der Tauber. The old one was taken by my father in 1965 or thereabouts. The other is a recent Alamy stock photo by Scott Wilson. Not much has changed except the colours.

woman-and-girl-walking-down-old-cobbled-

classic-postcard-view-of-the-historic-to

For those intrepid photo detectives on this forum, I have much harder (I think) puzzle for you. These two photos were taken in or around 1966/7 on an historic ship. They could be in London, as we moved there in 1967, but the background buildings and streetlights don’t look like London to me, and more likely to be in Germany, possibly around Travemunde, but that’s really just a guess. The only historic ship I can find there is the Pasat and the wheel is completely different.  Or it could be on the Elbe, as we lived in Hamburg. There is a distinctive tower in one of the photos, so someone may recognise that. Happy hunting ;)

young-boy-wearing-red-duffel-coat-steeri

young-girl-steering-ship-wheel-on-histor

35 minutes ago, Sally said:

Just for fun, I thought that people might be interested in these views of a small town in Bavaria called Rothenburg ob der Tauber. The old one was taken by my father in 1965 or thereabouts. The other is a recent Alamy stock photo by Scott Wilson. Not much has changed except the colours.

woman-and-girl-walking-down-old-cobbled-

classic-postcard-view-of-the-historic-to

I suspect theres been a fair amount of manipulation of colours and saturation in that more recent image - thats not to say it isnt very nice!

Kumar

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I suspect theres been a fair amount of manipulation of colours and saturation in that more recent image - thats not to say it isnt very nice!

Kumar

Yes, I agree, very saturated.  But everything looks freshly painted.  And difficult to get a shot like that without any people in it now, too.

Archived