Jump to content

Preferences.Readprefs


Recommended Posts

Actually, I don't think anyone would like to click on  the link - and as I see it, you shouldn't encourage people to do so without more information.

 

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3179466/security/danes-targeted-by-malware-spread-through-dropbox.html

 

https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/57056/cyber-crime/dropbox-links-spam.html

 

Have you scanned you computer for malware and/or experienced any signs of it?

 

It doesn't seem to be the same method - but perhaps one should be cautious with Dropbox links you don't know about.

 

Edited by Niels Quist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

Actually, I don't think anyone would like to click on  the link - and as I see it, you shouldn't encourage people to do so without more information.

 

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3179466/security/danes-targeted-by-malware-spread-through-dropbox.html

 

https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/57056/cyber-crime/dropbox-links-spam.html

 

Have you scanned you computer for malware and/or experienced any signs of it?

 

It doesn't seem to be the same method - but perhaps one should be cautious with Dropbox links you don't know about.

 

 

Apologies for that Its just a screenshot of a box that popped up on my computer below is what it stated.

 

Preferences.readprefs

err=69

what=

where=4

Name=Preferences.xml

 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No problem, thanks - it helps with more information. I am duly afraid of clicking on sinister links, I don't know more about - perhaps too much afraid, if one can be. :)

 

Could there be any connection with one of your previous uses of Dropbox?

Edited by Niels Quist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like you may have a missing or corrupted preferences file. Shame it doesn't indicate which application it might belong to.

 

Does it appear every time you boot, or was this a one off? If it occurs every time, you could try rebooting in safe mode to see if it the message still appears. If not then it's likely to be a problem with another program that starts at startup. Try using startup manager to temporarily disable one start up program at a time and then reboot in normal mode until you find out which one has the problem. 

 

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Looks like you may have a missing or corrupted preferences file. Shame it doesn't indicate which application it might belong to.

 

Does it appear every time you boot, or was this a one off? If it occurs every time, you could try rebooting in safe mode to see if it the message still appears. If not then it's likely to be a problem with another program that starts at startup. Try using startup manager to temporarily disable one start up program at a time and then reboot in normal mode until you find out which one has the problem. 

 

Mark

it's happened just the one time, I have rebooted since though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

No problem, thanks - it helps with more information. I am duly afraid of clicking on sinister links, I don't know more about - perhaps too much afraid, if one can be. :)

 

Could there be any connection with one of your previous uses of Dropbox?

That is possible as I used it the other day to take a screenshot of an image of mine that has been downloaded without Alamy's permission, by a company in Panama it may have come from there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.