Minimum File Size

Hi, I am a little confused on the minimum file size 17MB for uploading images.  I use a Nikon D7000, which is on the the approved camera list, and I shoot in Raw, which gives me sizes of between 25 and 30 MB when I transfer them.  When I convert them on my computer to jpeg at highest quality,  I always get sizes at around 10 MB maximum.  What's up with that 17MB number?  What am I doing wrong? How can I make my files big enough?

The 17MB number is the file size when open (say in Photoshop), i.e. uncompressed. Jpegs are compressed files, so on disk they show at their compressed size...for you around 10MB.

You are not doing anything wrong, your camera produces a native size jpeg which when uncompressed in software is about 45MB+. That's where the 17MB comes into play, your images well exceed the mark. If you work with TIFFs, then produce a TIFF file which is over 17MB (8bit) and then convert to a jpeg. 

Hi, I am a little confused on the minimum file size 17MB for uploading images.  I use a Nikon D7000, which is on the the approved camera list, and I shoot in Raw, which gives me sizes of between 25 and 30 MB when I transfer them.  When I convert them on my computer to jpeg at highest quality,  I always get sizes at around 10 MB maximum.  What's up with that 17MB number?  What am I doing wrong? How can I make my files big enough?

The 17MB would be the minimum size of your RAW file or a saved tiff file, not the compressed jpg. Your RAW size should always be the same unless you crop. JPG sizes vary depending on the complexity of the image. A shot with lots of sky will be smaller than a shot of city street, so that size is irrelevant to your minimum requirements.

Jill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi, i have a problem uploading some images. They are aprox jpgs  2500x1500 in the range of 5-10 mb, 300 dpi, scanned from original 35mm slides. This is not my first submission though.

Alamy says they are too small, but when oppened in GIMP they are about 40 mb....any ideas???

12 minutes ago, buenasacciones said:

Hi, i have a problem uploading some images. They are aprox jpgs  2500x1500 in the range of 5-10 mb, 300 dpi, scanned from original 35mm slides. This is not my first submission though.

Alamy says they are too small, but when oppened in GIMP they are about 40 mb....any ideas???

They are too small.

http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/4498-image-size/?tab=comments#comment-160555

The forum flows over with threads about this - just search.

38 minutes ago, buenasacciones said:

That is not possibl;e so you are doing something wrong with GIMP (not familiar with it so can't help there).  Funny you are the second GIMP user today with a newbie question. 

You can calculate the size in MB from 2500x1500x3 / 1,000,000 approx and it comes out at 11.25 MB so too small for Alamy. 

22 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

They are too small.

http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/4498-image-size/?tab=comments#comment-160555

The forum flows over with threads about this - just search.

This is not the typical newbie question as the file size on disk of the JPEG is always much smaller than the pixel dimensions not around 4 x larger as in this case. Here buenasacciones has quoted the pixel dimensions so his or her gimping is not correct. It should show 11.25 or thereabouts.

Or, to put it another way...

Make sure your submitted image contains more than about 6,000,000 pixels and you'll be OK for Alamy. So 3,000 x 2,000 pixels is fine (for example).

Strongly recommend using this tool to check all your images before uploading.

Mark

It might make sense if the file in GIMP is 16 bit TIFFS, then it would be just under 34MB pixel dimensions (if the number 40 quoted is not quite accurate). On another point if that is the max size of the scan, then the scanner will not be of sufficent quality for Alamy in any case. You don't scan at 300 ppi (note not dpi) for quality film scans. You need to scan at much higher resolution.

Archived