Welcome to the Alamy Contributor Forum. Log-in using your existing Alamy account details. If you're not registered yet then you need to create an Alamy Contributor account to be able to post here. Once registered, you'll be able to choose a forum display name and there will be a link to your images on Alamy within your profile. Please have a read of the rules and announcements before posting. Your first post will be moderated before appearing. Welcome to our photographer community!

Photo
- - - - -

Trouble getting my first images accepted

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jupiter6791

jupiter6791

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted A week ago

I've been trying to get my first images accepted, but they always come back to me with saying they aren't sharp enough.  I really feel like they are very sharp.  I'm not a professional, but I am an amateur and feel I understand when something is sharp or not.  Many of the first images I upload are animals that I have zoomed in on, and the backgrounds are blurry.  Do they want the whole image to be sharp for the first submissions?  Is there an area I can post some of my pictures and get input from others on here? 

#2 GS-Images

GS-Images

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted A week ago

There is no problem with background blur, and in fact you'll struggle to find any photos anywhere with the whole lot in focus. Alamy just need the subject to be sharp.

The best thing is to post some 100% crops that we can look at and give our opinion on. You can post them here, but you'll need to host them on another website (I'm not sure which ones are best as I use my own web space for hosting photos). Maybe Flickr? You just need to make sure you don't use a service that sharpens your images, as we won't then see what Alamy see. That's often a problem when people post photos to these sites, that the photos they post are compressed and sharpened (Facebook always over-sharpens images).

Maybe someone else could suggest the best website to put a 100% crop on that won't actually change the image?

Geoff.

#3 arterra

arterra

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted A week ago

Do you look at your pictures at 100% (pixel level) to judge the sharpness?

What lens did you use for those animal shots? And if it's a long lens (400-500mm), do you use a tripod?

Anyway, when shooting animals with a long lens, it's very normal to get the backgrounds out of focus due to the narrow depth of field, but the animal's eyes should always be sharp.

FB1E1P.jpg   J4RNMP.jpg   HWDH81.jpg

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra, A week ago.

Arterra Picture LibraryWildeyes

nature, travel and environmental photography

LogoFineArtAmericaBlueShape.jpg

#4 DJ Myford

DJ Myford

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGreater London

Posted A week ago

Many new contributors misunderstand Alamy's file size requirements, and as a result enlarge their files to an excessive size, making the image soft. This may not apply in your case, but just be aware that if you are using a 6MP sensor or greater, there should be no need to enlarge your output.

Edited by DJ Myford, A week ago.

#5 M.Chapman

M.Chapman

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted A week ago

You could try uploading one of your failed images here, and then put a link here on the forum to it. You'll then get a diagnosis from forum members as to what's wrong.

Mark

Photimageon_Fine_art_America_button_smal

#6 mickfly

mickfly

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationTransient

Posted A week ago

Do you understand what 'depth of field' is?
Do you use manual focus?

#7 Orange Elephant

Orange Elephant

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted A week ago

The OP seems to have been successful & now has 3 images uploaded.

Nice pics Jupiter! :)

#8 GS-Images

GS-Images

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted A week ago

The OP seems to have been successful & now has 3 images uploaded.

Nice pics Jupiter! :)

Very nice images they have too......although I'm sure that's a Greylag goose, not a Chinese goose. I won't help them too much though as I have my own Greylag geese images and already have lots of competition.  :)

Geoff.

#9 Autumn Sky

Autumn Sky

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted A week ago

I like the painted turtle!

#10 Betty LaRue

Betty LaRue

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,667 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, United States

Posted A week ago

Just a wee tip. You need to give the scientific name of all animals and plants. Location can be important, if a buyer wants to illustrate a particular plant or animal found in a certain place.
Nice images!
Betty

#11 Orange Elephant

Orange Elephant

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted A week ago

I'd agree with Geoff that looks like a Greylag goose. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users