Ahmad

I hope you have acted on the advice to accurately keyword your images, buyers coming across images that are keyword for one continent but happen to be in another isn't a good look - and not just for you but for the rest of us. 

There are many images on Alamy where contributors have just thrown random keywords at a subject and for me this is frustrating, and no doubt for others too - we take a pride in accurate keyboarding, if you do too you will have  much better chance of sales, the shot of the train through the desert will sell as advised above - but you need to act on the advice

Thank you for your truthfulness and advice.  I greatly appreciate it.

My understanding is that stockbuster is with a couple of different agencies, including the biggest of them all, and with the fastest growing of them all too. I have not checked the micros.

wim

That is correct.  I'm used to doing a lot of small micro stock pics, but I do have a wider range of landscapes, beauty from the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee, etc..I will focus more on that.  Thank you!

We're a week further. Has the OP actually read the reactions above?  :mellow:

I often have the feeling we're talking to a wall  :huh:

Cheers,

Philippe

One could always hope that the info is used for future reference , but in all honesty how often doesn't frequent topics get started despite the answers being just a search away? Some truths/tips/recommendations never age.

Thank you for your advice!  I really appreciate it!

Hi:  I agree with fotoDogue's comment below. You seem to be using keywords or descriptions of individual images for your pseudonym and they appear after the copyright symbol.  V. strange.  Why not use your name on all of them?  A lot of work now but surely worth doing.

"I'm confused by your use of so many pseudonyms. Is this what you mean by "albums?"

With so few images I would think you'd want to use a single pseudonym to help boost your overall collection from images that have sold or been zoomed. Also, Copyright Faces or Copyright Turkey doesn't seem to make much sense."

Hi:  I agree with fotoDogue's comment below. You seem to be using keywords or descriptions of individual images for your pseudonym and they appear after the copyright symbol.  V. strange.  Why not use your name on all of them?  A lot of work now but surely worth doing.

"I'm confused by your use of so many pseudonyms. Is this what you mean by "albums?"

With so few images I would think you'd want to use a single pseudonym to help boost your overall collection from images that have sold or been zoomed. Also, Copyright Faces or Copyright Turkey doesn't seem to make much sense."

I don't see a comment from fotoDogue anywhere.  I guess I'm confused about the pseudonyms.  To me, I thought they were like 'categories'..I'm not even sure if this answer from you, Kathy, is for me about increasing sales or for someone else. :)

Hi stockbuster,

You are right, fotoDogue on the first page of this topic is replying to Ahmed's question at the top. Sorry.

But then I checked your photos and my confusion about your use of pseudonyms still applies. I would think it would be advisable to narrow your use of pseudonyms to one or two until

you have sufficient photos. Otherwise I think it lowers your CTR. Maybe others know. I only use one which is my name but I seem to recall this is how it works. And helping to improve your

CTR will help to improve sales.

Kathy

To simplify pseudos, this is what shows as the credit line in the publication that uses your images. Each pseudo has its own ranking on Alamy.

I have 3 pseudos, my main one under my name, Jill Morgan, and one for bad dog show pics and another for my bad wildlife shots. Only separated them as I never have sold one of the dog show or wildlife shots and they simply brought down the ranking of my main pseudo. Rather than remove them, I simply gave them their own pseudos in case somehow someone wanted one. I now don't upload the bad stuff. 

So to promote yourself as a photographer, you wouldn't want Piggy Banks/Alamy to show under an image in a publication. You would prefer your name or your agency name. Some of your pseudos are long and very category sounding, so the publication probably wouldn't even put in a credit line, or would just credit Alamy.

Jill

• 3 weeks later...

I have  almost 1,000 images on Alamy and they are many different kinds of images and I have only sold 2 pictures since I've been on!  Can anyone explain to me what is going on?  The images I have been adding are selling huge on other stock sites.  I just don't understand.  HELP!

If you by other stock sites mean Micro stock .. then you may not see many sales on Alamy. Many Alamy customers also have Micro stock accounts and if they can get the picture cheaper there, they will.

I concur with the above and my personal opinion/view is that;

1) Substantial anecdotal evidence suggests that overlap between micro RF and "normal" (mid-->macro) RF results in losing out on a not insignificant number of sales in the latter category. 

2) I also think/feel the RPI/year for said image, images (sisters and similars) would be lower when offered in both categories, but this is of course highly individual and will vary.

3) My take (skimming headlines, various forum posts, grapevine, general take on it) is that RPI/year within micro RF as a whole is quite past it's peak, definitely in decline, perhaps even an accelerated decline and becoming less viable for most.

4) Those with a long-term view to be active within the stock photography industry, less bothered by number of sales and more about $ not just this year, but in the next 10 years should probably;

1. Strive for quality and individuality over quantity, hopefully creating images that justify higher $ sales and not compete on price or go for the quick buck.
  2. Not prop up the mRF market by contributing to it, at the very least in a meaningful way.

We all know that this is an inflamed topic and that the variables within the industry is in serious state of flux. It can also be very personal and everyone has a different view on it. So above is just that, my personal view, as of today.

PS - I forgot to say that the reason I even started typing was that I wanted to say to @ColdCoffee - your squirrel picture (the two of them kind of hugging) is lovely, really caught my eye, never seen anything like it before. I'm a sucker for cute animal pictures.

Glad you liked my squirrels!

I have  almost 1,000 images on Alamy and they are many different kinds of images and I have only sold 2 pictures since I've been on!  Can anyone explain to me what is going on?  The images I have been adding are selling huge on other stock sites.  I just don't understand.  HELP!

If you by other stock sites mean Micro stock .. then you may not see many sales on Alamy. Many Alamy customers also have Micro stock accounts and if they can get the picture cheaper there, they will.

Its a long, long shot that this happens and very unlikely. Alamy is a RM/RF agency, people buy here for completely different reasons then micro, taking into consideration what the picture is going to be used for, just a webbie, print-run, advertising, etc?

A webbie from micro a couple of bucks, a printrun from Alamy lots more! and thats for the same image. Horses for courses, same image or not.

By a stroke of luck, I have the identical image at another RM/RF agency, sold 11 times during 2015 but not once here.

My personal hunch and I have heard this som many times.  Alamy is good for editorial content but for creative material you have to go elsewhere.

• 1 year later...

Hi - 

This thread got really good advice. Thanks for that. Can anyone look at my portfolio? Not big - 90 images, its been 4 months and no sale yet. 

I'll be uploading more but want to ensure I'm headed in right direction. 

Cheers & Thanks again. 

Archived